Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover Mini iron >

Clover Mini iron

Clover Mini iron

Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

I have one and use it for applique when I also use the no melt plastic to turn the edges over as well as use a pellon type template to turn edges over. I don't use it for presing seams.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

i love mine for small fusible applique. when i was working at a call center, i used to take the mini iron to work and do my applique blocks there. sure helped in the Christmas rush :-)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. I use it for paper piecing & quilt bindings (gluing). I've been using mine for years, dropped it on the hard tile floor a few times & it still keeps on going.
I have a new one for a back up, just in case :) :) :)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM

i use mine for applique and i'm very happy with it. if it broke i would certainly buy another the next day.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM

bought one brand new at a garage sale. Used it when taking an applique class. Couldn't get it to stand up in a mug (mug kept tipping over), found a glass "corn on the cob" dish at Goodwill. It lays nicely in the corn cob shape.

Pat
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
C.

I have the red one with different head attachments and I love it. I use it all the time. I feel it is most useful when piecing, especially triangle squares, by using it I don't stretch the triangles on the seams like one could with a big iron. I chain piece and than iron all seams. I have it sitting next to me on one of the June Taylor reversible iron surface/cutting mat. It is square. I have a ceramic little dish holding little iron holder with a piece of tape underneath it. Works great. I have showed other gals this and they love it too. Wonderful gadget. And don't we all love those gadgets......C.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 AM

I use mine for small piecing .... and I 'stand' it in a tall ceramic coffee mug .... works great!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 AM

I have one....really don't like it. I like steam....it's easy to get burned...and really can't press very hard. Would be ok to use in a pinch.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by eashka
I have had a clover mini iron for a long time and if they have not improved it then you don't need one. I have the one that is round shaped and has the little iron surface on the end. It gets quite hot and it will not set where you put it and I have gotten burned several times. I won't use it again and I would never give it or sell it to someone else. Plus, I like steam. Hope this helps.
I have to agree with you. I have one, and it sits in the drawer. #1 it takes too long to heat up, won't sit flat in the little wooden slot meant to hold it, and just doesn't flatten the seams enough. Works okay for small iron-on applique, but I rarely do that kind of stuff. Use your money for something else, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:58 AM
MM

Last year when I was contemplating purchasing one of the Clover irons, I read comments online and was scared away by the many, many people who were burned when they grabbed the shaft instead of the actual handle.

So, instead I got a Dritz Petite Press (at Joann's with coupon). The whole handle/shaft is enclosed so you can only burn yourself with the sole of the iron-just like with a "normal" iron. Have used it for turning under applique edges and works fine. No burns so far :).