Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coats & Clark thread- >

Coats & Clark thread-

Coats & Clark thread-

Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Well i learned my lesson. i got my machine back from being serviced and decided to make some large hexagon coasters. i did a zig zag stitch and had trouble with some stitches being straight not zig zag. i thought of taking my machine back in. then filled the bobbin and noticed my top thread having a bad area. i cut that off and proceeded to stitch. well my top thread then shredded twice on me.
i grabbed it off and replaced with a dark green i'd gotten at an LQS and no more problems. even with the oldthread in the bobbin. so my machine doesn't have to go back and i just went to Connectingthreads.com and ordered more essential threads.
talk about slow to learn!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:46 PM

I have been told not to use Coats & Clark as your top thread because it has a coating on it that will hurt your machine, but that it is ok to use in the bobbin.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Coats & Clark thread works fine for me. I've never had a problem with it even in my new machine. The hand quilting thread has a glaze and that should not be used in a machine. I use Connecting Threads cotton and poly because it's a better value then any of the other threads I have bought.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

I find it odd, that new expensive machines can be so picky about thread LOL I am glad mine like them all :D:D:D
Old 12-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

coats and clark ... like many thread companies ... make lots of different threads. some work very well for piecing, some don't work so well. some are for hand piecing (and will gum up your machine needle) others are for machines. don't dismiss all of their threads just because one of them didn't work for you. some of their threads are great to work with.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:31 PM

I had used C & C thread for many years with no complaints until I bought a new machine and realized how "linty" it was. I was constantly cleaning my machine. Then I read on this board how so many quilters like Connecting Threads Essentials so I ordered one spool and tried it. What a difference!! I recently ordered 2 more spools! I have lots of C & C thread that I'll use for hand sewing, like applique and binding.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

ha, ha. it turned out the dark green different looking spool from my old C&C was actually C&C but polyester! it sewed fine.
then i started using some essential thread i had and sewed on one short border, went to pull the thread to clip it and the bobbin wouldn't budge. i clipped it and then took my bobbin out-the essential thread had a lump on the thread that refused to budge. sigh!
first time that happened to me with that thread but i'd hate to be doing free motion quilting and run into a lump.
oh well, i will sew slow awhile and see how it goes.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Cyn

I can't use that on my more expensive machines but it works fine in my cheapies!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:30 PM

My Elna is very thread specific and likes C&C dual duty just fine. The poly wrapped cotton or visa versa is strong and sews well for me.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM

My good ol' machine will use any brand of threat thank goodness. I even buy some that are off brand and very CHEAP!!! Like 19 cents a spool! Need to save all I can to buy more mags and fabric!! LOL