Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Collage...a new experiment...

Collage...a new experiment...

I am going to attempt to do a collage quilt wall hanging of my daughter's dog, but the problem is that he is all black.

Does anyone have any tips on how to work through him being all one colour? I've pulled all my blacks/dark greys/dark blues/dark purples but I'm really at a standstill as to where to start. So far, I have the outline drawn on muslin...

I've watched all of Susan Carlson's collage videos and I'm wondering if there is any other that I should be watching.

Watson

Here is a black dog and many more dogs if you scroll down. May be some helpful links with these dog pics. Good luck. I bet getting started is the hardest. Be sure to post some pics as you get into this project. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61924563606981628/

to quote Susan: Color is irrelevant

do a search on her blog for how tos ... Kinda hard to get over, but I have seen a quilt on there of black and white dog done in purple and white- Mind blown!

Power Poster
    I have no idea of how to construct it -

but I do have a suggestion for something to look at.

go to jigidi.com - and look at the puzzles featuring animals.

It's interesting to me how my mind/brain "sees" the colors - for example, I think I am looking at a white cat - and it's actually tan or greenish white or grayish white.

On some of the black animals, the shine comes across as "white"

There are most likely shadows and highlights on picture of doggie. You might want want to play off that with a photo app if you have one. Enlarge the photo into Black and White. You will see different shades.

The other option is to make the outline and then color with thread painting. Variegated threads work well with this technique.

I would work different black fabrics into the design to help with shading. This sounds like a fun project with a great subject for your model.

Blog Entries
    I like that one!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I did one of my black cat. First I drew the outline and then I overlapped a lot of different blacks and some patterned, then thread painted it with a variegated black and white thread. IMHO it turned out great! Have fun and play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by summitbay View Post
    Here is a black dog and many more dogs if you scroll down. May be some helpful links with these dog pics. Good luck. I bet getting started is the hardest. Be sure to post some pics as you get into this project. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61924563606981628/
    Oh I love this! Even the tiniest whiskers are there... thread painted.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by summitbay View Post
    Looking at those pictures reinforces just how creative quilters are!

If you are looking for realism (you want the dog to look like your daughters dog), look at Barbara Yates Beasley website. WOW!!!! She does beautiful work. She lives in Boulder Colorado. If you have a chance to see her or go to her workshop, do it.

Check out Danny Amazanas work, also. Same concept as Susans.

I've made a start and learned a few things. A) I am going to need to use a lot more grey and blue tones mixed with the blacks because otherwise it just looks like a blob of black B) I have trouble cutting free hand shapes...all my shapes want to be linear. C) I don't have to finish one area,I can skip around and fill in bits and pieces as I see them.

Here he is...His name is "Atlas" and my daughter found him as a tiny puppy abandoned way up North on the Trans Canada Highway. Name:  IMG_20170303_074235_096.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  155.6 KB
    And, here's what I have so far....the black triangular pieces will come off once the face is done, they are just there to show me where his facial bones end and his ruff begins and the highlights in his eyes and the tongue are just bits of fabric stuck there for now, but you get the idea.
    Name:  atlastrial1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  815.7 KB

Watson

Great progress!
    It's going to be fun to watch Atlas come to life!!!!

Roughly what size is he going to be?

(PS ... check your PMs)
    Last edited by QuiltE; 06-20-2018 at 07:25 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have no idea of how to construct it -

but I do have a suggestion for something to look at.

go to jigidi.com - and look at the puzzles featuring animals.

It's interesting to me how my mind/brain "sees" the colors - for example, I think I am looking at a white cat - and it's actually tan or greenish white or grayish white.

On some of the black animals, the shine comes across as "white"
    I agree with bearisgray. I am somewhat color-shading challenged. By doing online jigsaw puzzles I can see how colors are blended on a puzzle piece and how they change to the eye when they are placed in the puzzle.

Beautiful dog and wonderful project!
    mea

Power Poster
    How about taking a photo of the dog in black and white - instead of "color" - and then the shadings might be easier to see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    I've made a start and learned a few things. A) I am going to need to use a lot more grey and blue tones mixed with the blacks because otherwise it just looks like a blob of black B) I have trouble cutting free hand shapes...all my shapes want to be linear. C) I don't have to finish one area,I can skip around and fill in bits and pieces as I see them.

Here he is...His name is "Atlas" and my daughter found him as a tiny puppy abandoned way up North on the Trans Canada Highway. Name:  IMG_20170303_074235_096.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  155.6 KB
    And, here's what I have so far....the black triangular pieces will come off once the face is done, they are just there to show me where his facial bones end and his ruff begins and the highlights in his eyes and the tongue are just bits of fabric stuck there for now, but you get the idea.
    Name:  atlastrial1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  815.7 KB

Watson

Looking at the photo from a jigsaw puzzle perspective, the black around the muzzle looks like it has some greenish gray in it. What do you think?