Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Color Catchers are still available

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    They are not being discontinued. They are just not being shipped to other countries. Apparently they seeem to clog pipes in some washing machines creating expensive plumbing and appliance repair bills. They are also being blamed for some dryer issues too. I called a J&J rep after ordering them on Amazon and not being able to ship them APO. I didn't ask about Canada but this may be a logical explanation as to why they are not carried there anymore. I brought Carbona Dye Catchers instead. They are supposed to be used for up to 30 washes and they ship to APO addresses with no problems.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Big Lots has them. Almost picked up some on Sunday.

How do they clog pipes? My Color Catcher sheets are always still in the wash machine after the wash is finished. I toss them after the wash, have not put them in a dryer.

I agree I have never had one go down the drain - I think they are an invaluable tool!

I HAD ONE GO THROUGH THE OVERFLOW IN MY WASHER STOPED THE MACHINE FROM GOING THROUGH THE SPIN CYCLE.THEY ARE SO SMALL AND LITE WEIGHT THEY CAN JUST FLOAT OVER THE TOP. NOW I PUT IT INTO A SWEATER BAG BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE MACHINE, END OF PROBLEM.

good idea Gramie.

The issue that Gramie bj had is what the lady at thier customer service said. Her solution is a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    I HAD ONE GO THROUGH THE OVERFLOW IN MY WASHER STOPED THE MACHINE FROM GOING THROUGH THE SPIN CYCLE.THEY ARE SO SMALL AND LITE WEIGHT THEY CAN JUST FLOAT OVER THE TOP. NOW I PUT IT INTO A SWEATER BAG BEFORE PUTTING IT INTO THE MACHINE, END OF PROBLEM.
    Great idea, can use the small delicate mesh bags as well.

Blog Entries
    Great idea!

The directions on a box of Color Catchers recently purchased said to use a mesh bag. I guess they changed the instructions after finding all those problems.

I don't think people are reading the instruction so they are not using the bag. The company is just covering themselves. I wish they would have them already enclosed with mesh so that way every quilter in every country can use them.

Blog Entries
    The Carbona Dye Catchers work great also! I have no brand loyality I just use what is the best price!

I had to laugh about the folks not reading instructions.
    I remember when I read the back of the Dawn dishsoap and imagine my surprise when it said not to mix with clorox.

The mesh bag is a great idea.

When I first bought them I read the directions, don't remember seeing anything about mesh bag but I think given that some have had problems it is a good idea. I haven't seen Carbona Dye catchers yet at my store. how long have they been out?

Awesome idea!!! Thank you~~ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hmmm...interesting. I'll have to look at the directions on the color catchers I have in my laundry room. Don't remember seeing that the last time I looked at the box, but I don't think I've read it in months. ;)

Color Catchers are available in Europe on U.S. military bases. I went to the Commissary today (Yes! I'm home.) and brought some for $2.29 for a box of 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    Color Catchers are available in Europe on U.S. military bases. I went to the Commissary today (Yes! I'm home.) and brought some for $2.29 for a box of 24.
    I am so glad you are Home....Are you ready to quilt, quilt, quilt???

Carbona Dye Grabber is available at my Hancock Fabrics store. It is about 8 X 15 terry cloth. I have never used the Shout brand but really like Carbona. It can be used over and over and after it picks up color it can be bleached back to white.

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    I am so glad you are Home....Are you ready to quilt, quilt, quilt???
    Yes I am! I've already cut out all of the pieces for a vintage baby quilt. Thanks for asking and I love love love the FW and 99k. I haven't tried them yet (voltage issue...Germany) but I can't wait!