Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
color help? >

color help?

color help?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Really like the red with them
Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 PM

oh, well. the husband weighed in. he *hates* the red. says it doesn't match the paisley at all. =//.

I really want to thank all of you -- just looking at my design wall is so discouraging . . . and these comments were SO nice to read. . . .

Trying to put it together has been difficult . . . WAY back when, I cut these fabrics into 1.5" strips. Not sure how the paisley escaped the knife, but . . . Slightly less -way back when, I decided on Puss in the corner, and made a bunch of blocks. NOW. NOW? I am like, "what?!". I can't imagine what I was thinking . . . well, besides that 'seams don't matter'. ha ha.

should I sash them at all, and just have a smaller top? is the red not good enough? where does 'good enough' hit 'worth my time/investment'?
=/
[ATTACH=CONFIG]454472[/ATTACH]here is a close up of the red. It is a bit of a stretch to make it match . . . .

thanks again, so much!!!
Attached Thumbnails 002001.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM

I vote for red as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Why not use both colors. Add a narrow border of the yellow around the red and a narrow border of red around the yellow. No matter what you choose its going to be beautiful.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 PM

It has to be either dark or light, nothing in the middle, and I wouldn't shy away from a light print, such as you have at the edges. Depends on what you want the focus on: either the paisley part, or the light part of the block. If you do anything too fancy with the intervening blocks, it will take away from the paisley, which is beautiful. I'd go with a light print, not a solid, which has nothing to break the surface flatness, and IMHO, would detract from the pattern. That means the yellow is out. Of course, you could always just sash the blocks - a narrow sash - such as black? And then use your other fabrics to make a border or two in order to get the quilt the size you like. Hope that's as clear as mud here! LOL!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 PM

I like the red. I agree with a previous reply that the yellow washes it out. If you have enough, you could make a narrow red, narrow yellow, wider red border- just a thought
Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Gay

I can only go by the colours I see on my screen. Love that paisley. Afraid I agree with hubby - I think the red should be a darker brown/red - and is that a khaki green in the paisley? adding some of that might look good. I would stick with the deep creams as background, maybe alternate blocks with the lighter fabric in the 1st pic as background,no yellow. Good luck
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM

I would invest in a rich, warm brown or another color to complement the paisley to complete the top. Your blocks are too nice to just settle for something that doesnt really make you happy just because you have it on hand. You obviously put a lot of work into those back when you first sewed them, and you should do them justice now or you will never really like the finished product. Several places still have their sales going in full swing, and Thousands of Bolts has Moda Bella Solids for $5/yard. Please post a picture of your finished top...I know it will be beautiful! Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM

I prefer the red but agree with the suggestion of a nice autumn green to pick out the shade in the paisley which is lovely. I'm not overly keen on the yellow doesn't do much for the other fabrics. The blocks are cool. Good luck with whatever choice you make
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM

I like red.