Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color, Hue and scale >

Color, Hue and scale

Color, Hue and scale

Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Well ladies we will find out this weekend if everything goes well. I went to her house for mahjong last night and she has all of her fabric washed for the log cabin. She bought Color Catchers for the first time and is going to starch it before she comes over. She is quite excited to see how it comes together. I am too. I am picking up paint chips at Walmart this week so we can get some ideas on colors to coordinate with her stash.

Boy dont I know about that window thing. Got burned with that one just a couple weeks ago on a shop hop. In the store lighting, my GF and I both thought these three fabrics were spot on. Got them home and one isnt even close.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 PM

This actually happened to me today.. I had found a top, a log cabin top, made of darkish moody murky fabrics, combined with assorted off whites and lights.One of those scrappy, pull it out of the bag projects, although it was well sewn. After putting it on my sofa and looking at it for two weeks, and liking it less and less, I decided to give it away. SO I took it to today's "sit and sew". To my astonishment, all of the ladies there liked it and thought it was beautiful! In fact they argued with me about it!LOL!!! Yes, I did give it away!
So... it seems - one more time...it is all in the eye of the quilter!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 PM

This actually happened to me today.. I had found a top, a log cabin top, made of darkish moody murky fabrics, combined with assorted off whites and lights.One of those scrappy, pull it out of the bag projects, although it was well sewn. After putting it on my sofa and looking at it for two weeks, and liking it less and less, I decided to give it away. SO I took it to today's "sit and sew". To my astonishment, all of the ladies there liked it and thought it was beautiful! In fact they argued with me about it!LOL!!! Yes, I did give it away!
So... it seems - one more time...it is all in the eye of the quilter!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM

I saw a demo by the guy that works with Alex Anderson and he picked the ugliest fabrics of all colors and made a quilt. It was beautiful. He did use lights, mediums and darks. Sometimes it is hard to tell whether a fabric is light, medium or dark when you have a grouping. I look at my fabrics with one of those red pieces of plastic. It allows you to see the colors in blacks, whites and grays and makes it much easier to separate the fabrics. You might get a color chart and one of these red pieces of plastic for your friend. Both have helped me with my colors. Sometimes, an ugly fabric is just what the quilt needs to pop.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Scale is not really that important in quilts. Value is the most important thing...light, dark, medium.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 AM

I had this method of printing fabric into Grayscale to show
light , med , and Dks. I did not really understand at the time. I am going to try your advice and see if this helps
when chooseing fabrics.
Personally I would love to attend a workshop on this
very subject.