Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color scheme vs. pattern >

Color scheme vs. pattern

Color scheme vs. pattern

Old 12-02-2021, 07:13 PM

Default Color scheme vs. pattern

When I am attracted to a new quilt pattern, often I find that it really isn't so much the pattern I like but, rather, the color planning. It seems to me that color in a quilt is primary, while the pattern is a secondary factor in how attractive the finished product is. Anyone else notice this? What do you think?
Old 12-02-2021, 09:59 PM

Absolutely it is the color planning for me! I am currently preparing to make a quilt that I saw and fell in love with. When I received the pattern, I realized that had I not seen the quilt I fell in love with, I never would have ordered the pattern, because the coloring on the pattern picture did not appeal to me at all. I have noticed many times when I see the same pattern made with different fabric choices, how the colors will affect the outcome.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:39 AM

When I see a color or color combination I adore the first thing I think of is what quilt pattern would this look amazing in 😀.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:24 AM
Banned

Oh, yeah! I love the Irish Chain patter and have made two of them, but am not a fan of either because I can't get the colors right. One of these days I'll tackle another and try to get it right!
Old 12-03-2021, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

A little of both for me. Sometimes a pattern is really cute and I want to try it but colour plays a huge role in how effective a pattern is.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:21 AM

At times I agree with you. I might find a pattern that would work with the fabrics I've pulled from my stash. Sometimes I'll have a couple patterns pulled for those fabrics. I put them all out on the cutting table with the patterns and just leave them there for a couple days to a couple weeks so when I pass by them I'll look at them and see if the fabrics still have my attention with the patterns I'm leaning more toward. If not, I'll start discarding the fabrics and/or patterns until I really happy. Then I let me sister give me her opinion as I value it greatly.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:36 AM

I am a pattern first person. I look at the piecing part of it and decide if I would like to try it and then I start thinking about the colors. That is one thing I have learned from Bonnie's mysteries is how the color and value selections can totally change how a particular pattern looks.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:41 AM

I guess I'm just the opposite. The first thing I do when I get a new pattern is come up with a new color scheme. I always say I don't want a quilt that looks like everyone else. I guess that's why I really don't like BOM programs or kits. The one time I did a BOM I completely changed the layout and added sashing.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:42 AM

There are times when I am instantly drawn in by a color scheme or fabric, but I can also be guided by the pattern. When I started way back when before rotary cutters, my how-tos and reference books were mostly in black and white with diagrams, like the newspaper patterns. Typically they didn't even show you layout options or what you could do with the block -- just the block.

I love seeing how different fabrics/color schemes can make the very same quilt look very different. Likewise, with block exchanges and final projects. One of my favorite parts of any guild show is if they have a mystery/chosen colors project. I know I love seeing the what the other quilters are doing on things like the Bonnie Hunter mysteries -- even if they have me second guessing or not-so-excited about my own choices.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 AM

I love the color planning of each new quilt. I can figure out the patterns I want to try or design in a heart beat but it takes me a bit longer to get the colors just right and that is the part that I can then visualize the finished quilt. That is the best part of all.