Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Theory >

Color Theory

Color Theory

Old 06-26-2017, 03:50 AM

Have no idea your age but developing cataracts change how you see color. After my first surgery, I was seeing the royal blue of the football Cowboys as a periwinkle blue. I had chosen a border fabric during that time that I discovered was totally wrong after the surgery. When I went back to the store to replace that, the clerk commented that her grandmother had to take an entire quilt apart as red and pink were the problem and her entire quilt, not just the border of mine, was totally "off". My eye dr told me to consider the art of Monet and see how his color choices changed through the years and it probably was because of developing cataracts.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Craftsy has a class on colour theory. I haven't taken it but it's on my list.

Watson
there's also an iquilt class on color theory for quilters by Katie Pasquini-Masopust-- I haven't taken that one, but I have taken her other classes and they were very good. Her use of color is excellent, as is Joen Wolfram's who teaches the Craftsy class. I haven't taken the one on Craftsy, but I do have several of Joen Wolfram's books and they are excellent resources for both color and design.

Rob
Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 AM

I agree with toverly, only I place the fabric in order on the scanner part of my printer and print it in black and white. The value of the fabrics is then very easy to see.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
I'm making a somewhat scrappy "Outside the Box" quilt found in "The Modern Quilt workshop". Each block is made from 3 fabrics (blues, creams, grays), which must differ in value and hue. Some of the blocks I have finished look great, and others are lacking something. Based on the instructions, I'm guessing I don't have enough contrast in either the value or the hue.

I've had problems with color before. It's time to learn. Can you recommend a book, or online resource, that gives a good, easy to understand explanation?

I think some of my problem might be how my brain processes color. DH can look at a red fabric, and see that it has purple undertones, and another might have orange undertones. I can't see that unless the two fabrics are side by side, and sometimes not even then. I just know they are different reds.

Thanks!!
Check out Jinny Beyers' website.........she is GREAT with colors!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Also.......

I agree that high contrast is needed for that quilt (Outside The Box). I've taken many classes by renowned color experts, Katie Pasquini-Masopust and others. And I've learned to 'see' color better. Katie teaches overlays which is useful to learn tints and shades of colors. I learned a lot from Sandy Bonsib who took me into a quilt shop and showed me primary, secondary and tertiary colors side by side. How lucky am I!? But, my concern is that you say you don't see the orange or blue in a certain red unless they are side by side. I'm not sure if this is a visual problem or you just need lessons and practice. I guess if I were you I would cut some swatches and make my own little color wheel. There are great tools and instructions online on how to do this. Try thecolourguru.wordpress.com, http://www.colorspire.com/overview/, or google 'color wheel projects' on Pinterest. Those will get you started. I hope this all has been helpful, keep us posted please.

Last edited by Corky; 06-26-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: adding another comment
Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Get a color wheel where you will be able to see primary colors, analageous colors and monochromatic colors. This will help you see your color values in the colors you have chosen. Hope this helps. I learned this in Art Class I and II.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I can't recommend a book but I can recommend a photo. If you take a black and white photo with your phone, you will be able to see contrast. Since it is in black and white, the color undertones won't matter.
Thanks. I tried this, and it was helpful with the blues in my Outside the Box quilt. But I'm making a Disappearing 9 Patch comfort quilt and picked a bright yellow for the 4 blocks that get cut down the middle. Poor choice - the quilt screams yellow, but in black and white the yellow fades to a very light grey. I need to learn what this is telling me. The comfort quilt has a deadline, so no time to pick another fabric. I counting on little kids liking bright colors!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
The best advise comes from portrait quilters. Read this:

http://www.terryaskeartquilts.com/St...-from-a-photo/

Jane Quilter
I've bookmarked this. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Craftsy has a class on colour theory. I haven't taken it but it's on my list.

Watson
I've added it to my list. I'll watch for the next good sale.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Well, it's going to scream louder at you than at anyone else, I think, because you are focused in on it now. Little kids do like bright colors.
I empathize with you, because I have problems with color value too.