Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Tools? Jinny Beyer vs. 3 in 1 Ultimate Color Tool >

Color Tools? Jinny Beyer vs. 3 in 1 Ultimate Color Tool

Color Tools? Jinny Beyer vs. 3 in 1 Ultimate Color Tool

Old 01-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Color Tools? Jinny Beyer vs. 3 in 1 Ultimate Color Tool

Do you use a color tool? The Jinny Beyer Portable Palette ( I watched her video online) looks awesome but it is a bit pricey. Today I was in a LQS and the shop owner suggested the 3 in 1 tool. Thoughts?
MA
Old 01-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I hadn't heard of this?? I have EQ7 whihc fits my needs perfectly. What does this color tool do??
Old 01-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Yes, I've used the 3 in 1 Tool for years. My color-picking ability is, shall we say limited. Since my friend Melissa moved away, I have to depend on this tool.
I don't know if it was my choice of batiks or not, but they looked so similar through the red viewer. Another friend told me that is how it is with batiks. But it's been invaluable for regular cottons.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:57 PM

For colour values I take photos with my phone, then change the photos to black and white-that method gives a good perspective for me-I have trouble defining medium values.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 PM

If I were a rich...woman and could afford to buy more of Jinny Beyer's fabric I would looove to have her Portable Palette BUT I'm not and I cant, so I don't. I find the 3-in-1 tool helpful and I like that it has the red & green viewers built in. Haven't even seen J Beyers version but have a feeling that the prints would interfere with my perception when looking for various colors/shades. Just one newbie's opinion.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:34 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I consider this to be one of the best all-conclusive color tools on the market and often use it in my color workshops.
http://joenwolfrom.com/color-design-tools/

Jan in VA
Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 AM

I bought Jinny Beyer's Portable Palette back when it was on sale. Also ordered her 5" squares and jelly rolls in all 150 colors for a quilt I have plans for. I made her Crystal Star pattern that uses all 150 color fabrics and loved it..............so did my sister and its her quilt I'm using these fabrics for. I find the color palette helpful when going thru my stash picking out colors to go together. My fabrics are stored by colors excluding the collections so it helps and saves time pulling out a fabric I think will work until I get them altogether and find one that doesn't fit well.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:35 PM

I agree Jinny's Portable Palette is pricey. I have a red value finder I bought and made a green one with a green plastic sleeve for a notebook. Both work fine for me. The 3 - in - 1 tool is more portable than what I have, so that might work better for you.