Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Wheel >

Color Wheel

Color Wheel

Old 06-29-2023, 03:17 AM

Default Color Wheel

Do you use the color wheel?

I attended a guild program on The Color Wheel held at a local quilt shop. The presenter of the program showed Quilts to explain how the colors played nicely together and other quilts where something was off with the colors and the pattern was lost. I find the color wheel fascinating however I rarely use it to plan my fabric selection. How about you?
Old 06-29-2023, 03:49 AM

I think of the Color Wheel like a tool in my sewing box, one that isn't needed very often but handy to have occasionally. I recently dug mine out to determine what color would compliment a fabric with yellow, orange, magenta, and deep purple. I rarely use this combination of colors. My thinking was a green teal and the wheel confirmed what I already knew.

The absolute most boring class I ever took in art was on the color wheel! :-)
Old 06-29-2023, 03:51 AM

Yes. I even used acrylic paints to make my own 4-tier color wheel, and really learned a lot about color in the process. I started with primary and secondary colors in the first tier. Then tertiary colors in the second tier. Then black and white mixed in for the third tier. Then instead of mixing in grey, I mixed in brown for the fourth tier.

Another secret about selecting fabrics is to use fabrics and colors that are already put together in a fabric line. It's kind of cheating, but that's how we put most kits together at a quilt shop.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:30 AM

No, never have used the color wheel. To me, if the colors look nice together, then that's what I use. I don't want the stress of trying to fit what to use into a 'cube'. If the colors I pick are pleasing to me, then I'm happy!
Old 06-29-2023, 04:52 AM

I don't use one, but most of my quilting friends say I have a good eye for color, or something like that. I don't have any education in art, other than what we had in grade and middle school.

One of my favorite things in past years has been participating in Bonnie Hunter's fall mystery - but I often dislike the colors she chooses and change them. I'm pretty confident in doing so. While most of my quilts these days are the scrappy style, even if cut from yardage, when I do use a specific palette, I can easily choose what I want. That's one of the benefits of having a nice stash to work with - I can pull and audition things against each other. That's my line and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I have several color wheels but seldom use them. I choose colors of fabric that look good together. In using the color wheel any colors will go with the others. There is not a grouping that says don't use these colors together.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I've never used one. I just go by what looks good to me.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:07 AM

I have a color wheel. Just in case someone asks! The rest of the time, it sits in the back of the bottom drawer of my sewing cabinet. I take it out and spin it once in a while. Think oh look at all those pretty colors, then back in it goes. Yeah, I pick from my stash.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:25 AM

I have a color wheel (somewhere) in my quilting supplies but I have never used it. I like to audition colors/patterns and go with my instict of what I think plays well together. Example spent 15 minutes laying out fabric bolts on table at LQS. I started with a batik I really liked and then looked for colors to compliment it, had about 6-7 bolts on table and decidede on 2 based on color and also did the pattern look good with original fabric. Was heading to cutting table when a nonbatik fabric caught my eye, laid it next to my fabrics and picked it and rejected one of the batiks. I look for fabrics that play well together my friend Nancy Chong taught me long ago when picking fabrics for Hawaiian quilts to put fabrics together and then walk a few feet away and turn around and look at them (do you love them or just so so) and I find it works for my piecing quilts too.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:30 AM

I have a color wheel "someplace" in the sewing room. I also go by what pleases my eye. Whatever works for you.