Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color of the year for 2014 >

Color of the year for 2014

Color of the year for 2014

Old 12-05-2013, 05:01 PM

On Kreinik Mfg Co's Facebook page, they give some examples of their Silk Mori and Silk Serica fibers that are compatible with Pantone's Radiant Orchid. From that, it appears that it (fortunately) doesn't tend toward the big purple dinosaur shade. Found this design site with some interesting palettes using the orchid as a jumping-off point.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM

I'm doing block of the month at my LQS and one of the color choices was pinks/purple. Purple is my favorite color and also the daughter in law who I will be making the quilt for. I'm excited to see the colors each month!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM

I like that color on the redbud trees in spring, but a little goes a long way with me. It takes me longer than a year to make a quilt, though, so the colors of the years aren't really relevant.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Hey I just used this in a planned strip quilt- so does that make me ahead of the curve? Cutting edge? Wow! Ok- my 15 seconds of cool is up already...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM

It's very pretty, but the color of the year for me has been pink since 1968.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I laughed at the strap line proclaiming that they are a "global authority". According to? We have a saying, 'Self praise is no honour'.
"Pantone LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of X-Rite, Incorporated, is the world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries. The PANTONE® name is known worldwide as the standard language for color communication from designer to manufacturer to retailer to customer."

This spring, look for the color to show up in clothing! When teal was the color of the year, the swimwear dept. . Was beautiful! Dress Barn had a very nice presentation of clothing in the teal. (A fav color of mine, btw).

Yes, they set the color and as other posters point out, it influences all aspects of consumerism. Doesn't mean that we have to go with it. But you will see the influence in the stores, shelter magazine articles, etc.

Personally, I like purples but they are not my favs. Give me greens and teals any day!

Sandy
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 AM

Yup, that would be me too!!
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Well, I am a real purple fan...more than likely I will buy radiant orchid colored fabric if I see it. Never met a purple I didn't like.

Dina
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 AM

Me, I'm still trying to find a green that I like.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 AM

Here, Here, Dina!! I too am a purple fan from Texas - Any shade from light Orchid to deep Purple is my color also. I've been a purple fan from childhood, and I'm heading toward the 70 age, so I guess I'll always be a purple person. When I made my wedding gown 43 years ago this past August I was criticized for not making it white, and like I told those folks then, I only plan to do this wedding thing once so I'm going to have a dress the color I want. I guess after 43 years this marriage might last if we're lucky, lol.
Luckily we live in a town that has purple and gold for our school colors-2nd town with these school colors I've lived in. When I was teaching I always had purple to wear on Friday's our school color day. I've made 2 purple quilts for myself and have tons of purples in my stash. I haven't decided just what pattern for a purple quilt I will make next. I'm sure I will have to purchase this color if I see it around here.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 AM

I don't give a rip what Pantone says...I am sewing from my stash and I will use what appeals to me!

Last edited by lclang; 12-06-2013 at 04:38 AM. Reason: misspelled word