Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Color of the year for 2014 >
  • Color of the year for 2014

• Color of the year for 2014

Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM

This color is so not me. You will not be finding in my house.
    Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 PM

My niece used the orchid color with a bright green in her wedding, it was lovely.
    Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    RST: Great explanation on how that works. Another form of planned obsolescence to drive sales by creating a phony "need".
    Rodney
    So true.

As to the color...I will buy some when I get a chance, if I like it, but not just because it is "the color". That is a crazy way to live. If you are completely at the mercy of the merchants, then you are forced to go along, but if you have a nice stash, you can make what you want, whatever is "in" or not "in".

But I do like the color--but then, I like pretty much any color--well, maybe not a really dull drab green or orange, but even then, in the right circumstance,...
    Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by RST
    OBut recipients of quilts I gift are often far more attuned to the mass-market and the trends there. Consequently, quilts that I've made in trendy color schemes (yellow and gray, or aqua, pink, and red) get a lot of attention and are more appealing to a wider group than combos that are my favorites. Also, when you make a quilt for home decor use, it's nice to have it work well with dominant colors. With so many silver and gray neutrals in home decor,

You know that in about a month we're going to be tempted to wail about lovingly-crafted, beautiful quilts we slaved over given to under-appreciative loved ones who just keep it in the closet. I think that sometimes the less than whole hearted reception is because we're being stubborn about what colors we like, refusing to go with trends, doing our own thing.
    I agree. I am SURE this is one of the reasons that the things are given aren't appreciated.

It is also the reason I let the charity quilt recipients pick out their own from a group of quilts in a variety of colors and designs.

I'm getting ready to make a quilt for a camp and now have the pattern. I sent an email yesterday to the people who want me to make it...and asked them...do you want it to look like the pattern sample quilt or am I to choose my own fabrics/colors? It can make a world of difference.

And it's also why I asked my DD#1 to give me colors/picture of what she wants for her wedding quilt. It's a lot of work and I don't want to spend my time making something in colors that aren't what she has envisioned.

As to the orchid...

I do like that orchid color. But then I like pretty much all purples!
    Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 AM

I love to walk through display homes. Back in the early 1990's I went thru a large 2-story. It was decorated in eggplant purple! From the two floors of wall-to-wall carpeting, to the overly wallpapered rooms, upholstery, window treatments, etc. ALL in eggplant. I was nauseous by the time I left. I thought that I was going to hurl from the color overload. I have to think that whoever ended up buying that color train-wreck either LOVED all of that color or got a discount and ripped it out. Some interior decorator went crazy. To this day...not a fan of the color. In large doses, that is.

Sandy
    Old 12-07-2013, 04:02 AM

I grow orchids and that is the only purple I have in the house. I don't like the color purple anyhow. I may put a little square in a quilt, but not as a main color. Sorry, I think a soft pink or rose is much prettier and my colors are my rules and purple is not in there. Edie
    Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Orchid was my grandmother's favorite color, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart (and in some of my quilts)
    Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 AM

Yes, "marketing" gets my vote, too!
    Old 12-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Am taking a pass on this one - not a color I like that much.
    Old 12-07-2013, 01:12 PM

I am soo ahead of them. This was one of my Thanksgiving break projects. Of course, any shade of purple is my favorite color.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg