Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics? >

Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics?

Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Which comes first, the pattern or the fabrics?

I have several groups of coordinated fabrics which I randomly purchased with no pattern in mind--I just like the fabric. Now what do I do? There may be 3 fabrics that go together or 6 and of varying yardages. I like them so much I don't want to "waste" them on a pattern that doesn't work. Where do you go for ideas? Should I stop buying a yard or two when I find fabric that appeals to me? (shudder at the thought!) Bad news, I am still on the lookout for additional fabrics that go with some of these groupings.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I purchased a bunch of fabric with a particular pattern in mind for a DGD. I have since changed m y mind many times about the pattern but! other patterns came into mind. Sometimes I don't think it really matters. I see fabric I like and depending on the price or how much is there I buy it. With me it just depends on my mood and my wallet or bank account! I can get into a lot of trouble.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM

I usually buy fabric I like and go looking for a pattern. I have hundreds so I confuse myself a lot. If I don't find one I go to my quilting magazines but love to go on line to quilters cache for great ideas. I have been so happy with the ones I have found there.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM

The fabric comes first for me. I have several "sets" of fabrics right now that I am trying to decide on a pattern to use them with. When I decide on the pattern, then I look for coordinating solids, marbles or batiks to make the pattern. But then, I am a scrappy girl and rarely make a pattern exactly like the one shown in the example. So I am never looking for x yards blue, x yards yellow, ect.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 AM

I usually have a pattern in mind, before buying fabric. After buying fabric, I usually change my mind about the pattern.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:34 AM

I much prefer to pick out my design then fabric to go with it. It 'feels' better to me. I have a stash but I never seem to be able to pick it and use much of it. I have some bolts that I cut off frequently, so I guess I do use some of my stash but still prefer to pick out the design first. I have started bagging the design and fabric together when I put them in my closet so when I get to them, i don't get tempted to try another fabric in it. I want to trust my first instinct lol.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM

For me, fabric usually. Sometimes I'll buy fabric that coordinates with each other and then plan the project sometime down the road, but most often I buy the fabric because I fall in love with it or just have to have it. Because of the size of my stash (fortunately or unfortunately) I am usually able to shop from my stash when a project comes to mind. Good question.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 AM

I can go either way, depending on what I see. Sometimes it's the fabric that is just perfect for someone; then I look for a pattern. When I do that, though, I'm always afraid I didn't buy enough fabric. I rarely buy more than a yard--just don't have the $s to speculate. Other times, a pattern tells me it would be great for so-and-so, then I hit my stash or go shopping for fabric (or both ).
Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by emcay View Post
I have several groups of coordinated fabrics which I randomly purchased with no pattern in mind--I just like the fabric. Now what do I do? There may be 3 fabrics that go together or 6 and of varying yardages. I like them so much I don't want to "waste" them on a pattern that doesn't work. Where do you go for ideas? Should I stop buying a yard or two when I find fabric that appeals to me? (shudder at the thought!) Bad news, I am still on the lookout for additional fabrics that go with some of these groupings.

My puny little head is full of patterns I love. Sometimes I have a pattern in mind, sometimes I have fabric in mind. Sometimes both.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:21 PM

My life would be so much less frustrating if I would have a pattern in mind prior to buying fabric. Usually, I'm looking for something to complete a chosen pattern, and find something wonderful I just can't leave the store without. Then I spend hours, days, etc drawing, purusing books, looking here for ideas. What's really frustrating is when I finally have a plan for fabric I bought years ago, and realize I should have either bought more, or bought the coordinating fabric