Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Commissioned Quilt >

Commissioned Quilt

Commissioned Quilt

Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 AM

That is adorable!!! You did a great job.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM

It does depend on where you live. For the quilting, I always look up long armers in my area. I found this LA shop in OH (http://itsbyanna.com/pricing/) that is priced similarly to shops by me. Quilting around applique is Custom Quilting. It's hard to tell what all you did for quilting from the photo. I can see the lines in the sashing & what looks like a wide stipple around the dolls. It looks like you probably quilted right around the edge of the applique to make it puffy. And then did something else in the border & possibly SID. So for the quilting alone, I'd charge $250. For binding, if you finished by hand, I'd charge $95 (machine finished would be $30). And I'd probably charge another $50-60 for the piecing.

So, assuming the customer paid for all the fabric (I supply batting, binding & thread), I would charge $400 for the work you did. Not everyone is able to pay that. I can't afford it either. Quilts are luxury items, so I learned to quilt myself. When I have to turn people away, I share with them some of the sites like Leah Day that helped me start to learn how to quilt & let them know that if they don't even know how to sew, there are beginner classes at JAF.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

I've had people try to commission quilts with me and I always declined because quilting would become a job/chore at that point and I don't like chores.

You did a great job on this but you probably undersold your skills. Of course it is your decision and you have to take your area into consideration for competitive pricing. Then there is the client's affluence (or lack thereof). Good idea to have a contract.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I sat down a few years ago, and figured everything that I could think of that I would be shelling out for materials, my time, even electricity. Then I divided it out so that I could know what to charge no matter the size. It comes out to 25 cents a square inch. That may not sound like much, but a moderate lap quilt of 45 x 60 would be $675.00

Last edited by Boston1954; 04-09-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:20 PM

I do t-shirt quilts on commission and also long arm. I charge 9cents/sq. inch for the t-shirt quilts--all labor and all supplies except the t's. Many find that too high, but personally I don't usually enjoy making them all that much and am busy enough with my own quilting and also long arming for charity and others, so I don't feel bad about losing out on commissions to those who don't want to pay a fair price.
For long arming I charge 1.5 cents/sq. inch for a very easy panto or edge2edge. custom starts at 2 1/2cents andgoes upward. Here in the Midwest you can certainly find quilters that will work much cheaper, but again, I refuse to make pennies when I could go back to work part time for a whole lot more. A fellow quilter in the area recently started charging by the hour instead of by the sq. inch. I've heard that several people were little upset when they got their bills and figured out that the quilting they expect takes a long time!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 AM

I know nothing about charging, but you did a beautiful job. Love the border.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:27 PM

It looks great. Check out this blog: https://mqbusiness.wordpress.com/201...t-shirt-quilt/. She runs a business and seems to have good advice.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:18 PM

It will totally depend on the quilt - size, design, any extras. But the basics are the materials (if they supply, you need to be with them to purchase so you can have the final approval on them!), how complex is the design (equals how much time it will take you to make them), and your basic per hour charge. But the key to all of this is PUT IT IN WRITING before you start and you both sign the contract and take a copy. Also, even if they have purchased the materials, require a 50% deposit of the remaining expenses before you start. It is so much better that they change their mind and don't have you start the project than if they balk at the costs when you have finished it. Also, if you are not going to do the quilting and they are going to send it out, have those prices available for them so they are not surprised. If making the quilt is not a gift, then it is a business and the best way to treat it is like a business.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:34 PM

I bought a cheap timer on ebay and kept track of my time, and even though I thought I had a good handle on my time...I was way off. Sadly, I found that I made better time(and money), by cutting a quilt from scratch, than to redo something already done...so...part of your your price has to be a work of love for the old quilter and the old quilt...
If you're in this to make money, time your hours, decide what you're worth an hour, and charge that way. If you are going to rehab old quilts, experience tells me you just can't make money..charge for what you think you can get.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

your Sunbonnets came out great.