Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Completed Sentimental Quilt Top >

Completed Sentimental Quilt Top

Completed Sentimental Quilt Top

Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 AM

I often put together a back from scraps and left over blocks. I like interesting backs. Look at what Bonnie Hunter does with backs.
Originally Posted by adnaloy View Post
Hi, everyone!

I have a finished quilt top that my mom did before she passed away. I don't know what to do with it! It's a Cal King size. Right now it's folded in my closet. It's too big to hang up, I don't want to give it away, and the colors aren't something I would have picked.

I always feel close to her when I sew. Hmmm. Maybe make another quilt "top" for the back?

I think I just answered my own question. Haha. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 AM

Is it something you could divide into several smaller quilts, maybe throw sized, that you can snuggle under without the colors having to match anything in the world around it?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:10 AM

my thoughts were also with MarthaT, perhaps taking it into smaller sections for throws, or a twin and a couple throws. There are lots of options. Also, in the smaller size, if you add the second top to the back, it would be much more manageable.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
Is it something you could divide into several smaller quilts, maybe throw sized, that you can snuggle under without the colors having to match anything in the world around it?
That's a great idea, but I can't possibly take it apart. It's something she spent a lot of time on.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Great idea!! I like what you said about feeling close to your mom when you sew. My mom taught me to sew and we did a lot of sewing together as I was growing up. Fond memories. You'll have to post a picture of the quilt, both sides, when finished. Can't wait to see it!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:19 PM

Very cool Jan and love the colors, you did a great job.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Imho, I would sew it in half, quilt it and place it over the sofa or keep it as a bed runner, ready to use and hold. I wish I'd have a quilt from my mom to hold. She didn't sew. She did crochet so I do have doilies and my kids have baby afgan blankets she made for them. She did beautiful crochet work. I lost my mom 30 years ago.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TeesMeema View Post
Imho, I would sew it in half, quilt it and place it over the sofa or keep it as a bed runner, ready to use and hold. I wish I'd have a quilt from my mom to hold. She didn't sew. She did crochet so I do have doilies and my kids have baby afgan blankets she made for them. She did beautiful crochet work. I lost my mom 30 years ago.
Hmmm.... Sew it in half. Interesting!

I feel very lucky to have this of hers. I didn't start sewing until after she passed away. She sewed all through my childhood...Halloween costumes, Sunday dresses, so much. There was a falling out, years of not speaking, very long story. I didn't even know she had kept sewing.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

How about picking some fabric you love for the "top" - and use what she made for the "back" ?

That way you can have "private hugs" from the quilt.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by adnaloy View Post
Hi, everyone!

I have a finished quilt top that my mom did before she passed away. I don't know what to do with it! It's a Cal King size. Right now it's folded in my closet. It's too big to hang up, I don't want to give it away, and the colors aren't something I would have picked.

I always feel close to her when I sew. Hmmm. Maybe make another quilt "top" for the back?

I think I just answered my own question. Haha. Thanks!
If you have Mom's quilt on the back, she'll be closer to you when you sleep!