Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Connecting Thread >

Connecting Thread

Connecting Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:43 AM

Default Connecting Thread

I recently bought some of Connecting Thread's thread and like it but I am finding that there is a little wobble that occurs on the spindle and I believe it is affecting the quality of the stitches. Does anyone know what I can do to stabilize the spool?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:57 AM

Maybe your sewing machine doesn't like the thread. There are some thread I can't use with my sewing machine.. I love to use King Tut thread, I have some friends that can't use that.. Try a different thread and see if you still have the same problem
Old 10-17-2014, 05:03 AM

Do you normally use smaller spools? Does your spool pin have a good flat platform at the base of it? My pin sort of floats out there but it comes with various little plastic platforms I can put on the base - I keep the widest one on and that helps with wobbling with larger spools & cones. (This is assuming you have a vertical spool pin.)

You could also try flipping the spool over and see if it unwinds better the other way. Or the old-school method; drop it into a can behind your machine and see how that does.

I use CT thread a lot and no problems, but my machine is not at all picky about thread.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:24 AM

How is the thread wound on the spool? If it's wound like Coats and Clark you can have it on a spindle thats vertical, if not it needs to be on a horizonal spindle.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if there is something that you can put on the inside of the thread core that will make it smaller. Different brands have smaller or larger cores, but my spindle is just one size.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Essentials threads are usually used vertically. on a stand next to your machine. Now, mine do wobble when the thread is almost down to the last. I tend to use up all i can. hate waste.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 AM

If it's a small cone spool, a Deelibob works. Large cones like serger types can use the same cone holders sergers use.
If you can't fit it upright, get a metal cone holder.

I've got some King Tut I have trouble with. They are vertical, but the thread seems to be crosswound at the bottom of the spool. Every time thread has broken, it's at the underside of the spool. Never at the top. If you pull it (unwind it) by hand, you can feel it catch at the bottom, so it isn't the machine. The emptier the spool gets, the worse the hangup.

I've learned to unwind cones by hand. I've had serger cones that have either a cut thread or tangle for a couple of revolutions in the same spot. Saves trouble unwinding by hand. You can find the glitch without having to rethread the machine constantly.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

On my Bernina, I have cut pieced of felt or felted wool at the base of my spindle. They look like those items you put on your 3 ring binder paper so that the holes would not rip, kind of like small donuts.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 AM

My Juki has a foam pad that the spool or cone sits on. It would be easy to cut a piece of foam to fit most any machine, I think.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:55 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe the problem is that the core of the thread is slightly larger than the spindle on my machine and I don't know if there's a anything I can put on the spindle to make the cone more stable. In any event I will try some of the other suggestions.