Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Connecting Threads Batiks >
  • Connecting Threads Batiks

• Connecting Threads Batiks

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Originally Posted by Marge L.
    I just received 2 of their batik FQ. They are so beautiful. Haven't used any yet bc I'm waiting to find a place to buy Retayne to set the colors first. Believe am going to have trouble making that first cut though.

Marge for CT batiks they didn't bleed or run at all. I don't think you need the retayne. I prewashed all of them with a color catcher and that was that. I don't think the color catcher even grabbed much if at all!
    By the way, did you use hot water and hot dryer?

Thanks Candace for the info. I think I'll try your way and then if mine turns out differently, I can still go to retayne. These were so beautiful and silky. At first I thought they were silk or whatever, but after reading more in the catalog, found out they really are l00% cotton.
    Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM

I have ordered their thread which I like a lot especially the price. I have to clean the bobbin case a little more but I save enough money to make it worth it. I haven't ordered their fabrics yet. Until recently they were to "country"? for me. I like brighter colors. What I was thinking of doing is ordering the 5 inch squares in all the collections I like . That way before I order a bunch of fabric I can look and feel it. And I will have squares of fabric to play with.:-)
    Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM

I took a chance about a month ago and the batiks are yummy! They have a great hand (feel) and the colors are scrumptious. I love batiks and think these are great and what a price! I would not compare them with Moda or the high end batiks but they are really nice.
    Old 12-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    I just received 2 of their batik FQ. They are so beautiful. Haven't used any yet bc I'm waiting to find a place to buy Retayne to set the colors first. Believe am going to have trouble making that first cut though.

Marge for CT batiks they didn't bleed or run at all. I don't think you need the retayne. I prewashed all of them with a color catcher and that was that. I don't think the color catcher even grabbed much if at all!
    By the way, did you use hot water and hot dryer?

Thanks Candace for the info. I think I'll try your way and then if mine turns out differently, I can still go to retayne. These were so beautiful and silky. At first I thought they were silk or whatever, but after reading more in the catalog, found out they really are l00% cotton.

I usually prewash in Warm and then the highest setting on the dryer. No problems with this line of batiks for me. But, I've had MANY other batiks that are not colorfast in the past, so I understand why you'd be concerned.
    Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by daisey
    I have ordered connecting fabrics before and they are good quality, but yesterday I bought a bunch of their Batik samplers. Strips, 10 in squares ect...The are on sale 50 % off. has anyone tried their batiks yet? They look nice and deep in color. That is only thing I havent liked about connecting threads fabrics. They are getting better about thier colors they seem to be getting deeper in color if that makes sense. Anyway if anyone has tried these new batiks I would love to hear what you think. I got quite a bit for about 50.00 with the free shipping.
    I haven't because I order my batiks from Batiks Plus. They have a huge selection to chose from and they used to add a extra fat quarter for every yard or so. It was always color coordinated with what you ordered. Never got one I didn't love, but then whats not to love about batiks? :lol: Jan
    Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Personally I don't think their threads are very linty but maybe it is because I don't use it in the bobbin, I use Superior Bottom Line thread in all my bobbins.

I love the Connecting Threads and have been using them about 7 years.

Whenever I read about linty thread (no matter the brand name) I always wonder if the quilter is considering how much lint comes from fabrics and not the thread.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
    Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM

I love their batiks.
    Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM

I order form them their prices are great but didnt know they ever had sales...I better sign up for their emails
    Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wraez

Whenever I read about linty thread (no matter the brand name) I always wonder if the quilter is considering how much lint comes from fabrics and not the thread.
    I can see why you would wonder that Sue, but the lint I gather is most definetly from the thread. Thats ok though, I don't mind the little bit of extra cleaning. The thread is nice, looks great when sewn, doesn't repeatedly break and the price is right, not to mention that it comes in some great colors!..So, I'm a fan whether it is linty for my machine or not.

:D
    Old 12-03-2010, 04:12 PM

I agree there is some lint but not an enormous amt and like you said it sews nicely and price is great