Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Connecting Threads . . . I'm tempted to order some 50 wt for piecing. Yes/No/Maybe?

I have several colors of Connecting Threads thread, and have found that while it seems to be a good thread, it is a much heavier 50 st. than Aurifil or Superior Threads Alex Anderson's 50 wt. I don't piece with it, but I do use it to quilt with because it is a step heavier than Aurifil, but not as heavy as a machine quilting thread. I think the heavier weight takes up too much space in a seam when you're piecing, and adds more bulk to the seam. I like to piece the most with John Flynn's "So Fine" from Superior Threads.

I use the CT thread in my Janome 6500 and Gammill vision and like the results. I have had no problems with the quality and no problem with lint.

I started using CT cotton threads about a year ago for both piecing on my Pfaff and quilting with my Mega Quilter. It works great for both and I don't have more lint than with other threads. I love this thread and am in the process of converting all of my thread colors to this thread. I have cones of white and black and they seem to last forever. My hubby made me a great wooden cone holder for use with my Pfaff. I encourage you to try this thread.
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We should nickname this board "QBE" QUILTING BOARD ENCYCLOPEDIA"! So much to be learned from this board every time we turn around.

Blog Entries
    Some machines like CT thread and others don't. Buy a spool and try it. If it works you can order all colors. My machine liked it, then hated it, and now loves it again. Doesn't always make sense.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I love, love, love connecting threads 50wt. cotton thread! Just ordered a bunch on it in neutral colors. As one person responded, it's not very expensive compared to many other threads, so you wouldn't be out much if you don't care for it, but I bet you will be impressed. My friend that got me on to it, said it can be a little linty, but I have not had that problem.

Blog Entries
    I've been using YLI's Soft Touch for piecing. It's 60 weight cotton. Makes a really flat seam. I've tried CT, and it's nice, but I prefer the Soft Touch. It's not expensive, either.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    The difference in thickness of 50 wt thread is the ply.

Connecting Threads 50 wt cotton is 3 ply compared to Aurifil 50 wt that is 2 ply.
    Masterpiece thread is 50 wt sold in 2 ply and 3 ply.

No matter what size thread I use for the top, I use thin thread in the bobbin. Nothing bigger then 60 wt.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 05-18-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Got fabric?

I like the cotton 50 wt. thread for piecing, I have been buying it for years. Its good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S;[FONT=comic sans ms
    My HQ Sweet Sixteen does not like it, the thread weight is too light.[/FONT]
    Caroline, What thread do you use on your Sweet 16? Mine came with Sew Fine but haven't tried any others.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

I buy the large spools of thread from Connecting Threads and my Bernina (a really picky girl) sews perfectly fine. It seems to have more dust from the cotton than with the more costly threads but I am very satisfied with their thread. They have a terrific color selection too.

Blog Entries
    Well I have a Bernina 830 and after 1 project the top of the machine was filled with lint and it was in the bobbin area too way too much I gave what I had to a friend and wil never use it again!

Blog Entries
    I stopped using CT cotton thread for piecing because it gunked up my machine with lint. I switched to Aurifil and have almost no lint at all. this is very important to me, because it's a 40 minute drive each way to the dealer who takes care of my machines. Aurifil is absolutely worth its extra cost -more than made up with fewer deal visits

I use Aurifil for piecing and CT for quilting. I love all the beautiful colors they have!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
    I love Connecting Threads thread! I use it almost exclusively now. It is very economical, but a very good product.
    Me too! No complaints whatsoever.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I was at a Bernina dealer this afternoon and the new floor models were threaded with Coats and Clark thread. The big 830 had a cone of Signature thread. This dealer sells many different brands of thread but not Coats and Clark. I thought that was odd.
    Got fabric?

CT thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I use Precensia 50 wt. for my sewing on all my machines and it works perfectly. I bought Aurifil 50 wt. also. I love 50 wt. I've never used CT. I heard it was linty and don't need any more lint than I already have. But 50 wt. is awesome!
    I use it because I needed different colors for some sewing but I do fine it more linty than other brands. With that said, it makes me clean my machine more often which is a plus.
    Lizzy in La.

It's linty but the price really can't be beat and the color selection is great. I've never had trouble with breakage.

I use it mainly for quilting when I want the stitches to show. Also great for doing decorative topstitching, and perfectly good for most piecing work. For really precise piecing or SITD quilting I prefer Aurifil because it's so thin, it can really vanish into the fabric.

I did some price comparisons at my local stores and calculated price per 1,000 yards of thread, just to see:
    Aurifil locally goes for $11/spool, @1422 yds/spool that comes out to $7.73 per 1000 yds
    Coats & Clarke machine sewing thread locally goes for $2.79/spool, @350 yds/spool that comes out to $7.97 per 1000 yards!

I was shocked that if I buy local, C&C actually costs me more than Aurifil - IMO Aurifil is the Cadillac of cotton thread but it's just a little too expensive for me to try to have a lot of it on hand.

CT thread, on the other hand, goes for $2.49/spool, and @1200 yds/spool that comes out to just $2.08 per 1000 yards of thread - less than 1/3rd the price of Aurifil or C&C. This doesn't include shipping, but who doesn't spend the $50 minimum for free shipping? LOL

CT cones, by the way, come out to $2.00 per 1000 yards, which also surprised me because isn't that much of a savings and they don't seem to come in that many colors. I love how inexpensive the smaller CT spools are - I can afford to have a literal rainbow of thread on hand at all times.

Many people do well with Connecting Threads thread, and it's a good buy. I used it when I had my Brother sewing machine, and had no problems. Then that died, and I bought a Janome. I love my Janome MC9700! But it does seem to be fussy about threads, and the Connecting Threads thread made my bobbin so linty that I had to clean it every time I changed the bobbin. I switched to Masterpiece (for piecing) and King Tut (for FMQ). That solved my "linty" problem, and I love the thread! It is pricey. On the other hand, I bought a BIG cone of pale grey over a year ago, and have been using it to piece almost everything. There is still lots of thread on the cone as well, so I know I'll get a lot more piecing out of it. Bought that way, it's really rather economical. I buy the small spools of King Tut for FMQ, as I never know when I'll need that color again. All Superior threads are awesome, IMHO. If I'm just practicing, I have some Coats & Clark I use, leftovers from earlier projects. So it depends: if I'm working on a project, I'll use the Superior threads. If it's just some small thing, I use the cheaper stuff.
    MacThayer

When using CT thread I have to use a larger needle. So far I have liked their thread.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I purchased one spool..what did I have to lose? Well I am glad I only got one. It a lot thicker than the Aurifil that I use. Went back to Aurifil only. I am sure it has a lot to do with the machine. Both of mine are Janomes and they do not like it at all. At least mine didn't. So buy one and try , the price is right for sure!

Hello! I use CT 50wt on my quilt machine and it works just fine. Maybe a little linty but I think most threads are. I also use Aurifil when I can find it on sale as it is a little pricey. Any thread left on the bobbins from both threads I use for piecing so none is wasted. Right now I'm going thru a bunch of my regular threads as well as the threads that came with my quilt machine for piecing as I didn't care for how they worked on the quilt machine. Its supposed to take any thread but if I have to fiddle too much to get the tension correct, I go back to my old tried and true threads which is either CT or Aurifil. I did pick up some of CT polyester threads in the large spool but have yet to try it out. If my machine doesn't like it either, then it will be used to piece with. Our hobby, in my opinion, is too expensive to waste any of the stuff we use for it such as fabrics, threads, stabilizers, etc.

Suz in Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
    I love Connecting Threads thread! I use it almost exclusively now. It is very economical, but a very good product.
    I donot find this thread linty
    Caroline, I also have an Elna 7300 - love it!!
    I have used auafil and gutterman before I discovered connecting threads. I find connecting threads the best. I do not find it too linty and it is strong. None of my seams have opened up because of the thread breaking

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaS View Post
    I purchased one spool..what did I have to lose? Well I am glad I only got one. It a lot thicker than the Aurifil that I use. Went back to Aurifil only. I am sure it has a lot to do with the machine. Both of mine are Janomes and they do not like it at all. At least mine didn't. So buy one and try , the price is right for sure!
    I have a janome machine and I use mostly ct thread

I too use CT 50 wt cotton for piecing. It is consistent and my Ellisimo likes it. I bought a few cones of the new poly for FMQ and my Tiara loves it. Emily, FL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast