Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
connecting threads >

connecting threads

connecting threads

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

very disappointing
Old 08-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Sorry, but it does diminish them as a supplier as far as I am concerned. I bought from them hoping to support US industry.

Are there any manufacturers left who have not outsourced all their production?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I think all the other manufacturers are 100% outsourced, which equals nothing used or made in the USA. On the other hand, Connecting Threads pays big bucks for US produced cotton but still sells most of their fabrics at under $6 a yard. Guess who's not making not a huge profit off of you?

I'd love to see what you disappointed folks sew with. Do you have a relative in the US making fabric from your rags? C'mon let's not be so pretentious. I would love to support 100% American made fabric, but it's not available Not to mention there's cute fabric from lots of countries. Have you seen the Japanese stuff?!! Let's not be holier than thou. If I could afford $9+ a yard for those cute UIS distributed fabrics, I'd be buying them. Until then, I'll wait for the sales.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

No fabric can be made in the US for mass markets. No fabric mills are here anymore. It's gone, it's history. No matter what name of quilting fabric you buy, it's not made in the US. I like the marketing of CT and how their products are becoming something to take notice of. No big name designers to pay, no big name endorsement fees to pay, no big name spokesperson to pay, saves a lot of money and keeps the cost down. Adding a well known name to any merchandise and the price triples.

Originally Posted by Chele
I'd love to see what you disappointed folks sew with.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Maybe we will eventually have more manufactured in the U.S. for I have read that higher wages are being demanded by workers in other countries. If they get the wages there up, then there won't be a reason to have it manufactured there. I truly hope the day is coming for there are a lot of people who need jobs and I would love to buy USA products and see people make a decent wage too.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
Maybe we will eventually have more manufactured in the U.S. for I have read that higher wages are being demanded by workers in other countries. If they get the wages there up, then there won't be a reason to have it manufactured there. I truly hope the day is coming for there are a lot of people who need jobs and I would love to buy USA products and see people make a decent wage too.
:thumbup:

I don't think it's a question of being pretentious or holier than thou at all. I agree with Mary that it is a question of bringing back and/or keeping jobs in this country. If we don't support companies that produce here as much as we can, eventually none of us will have jobs.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Here is a list of the remaining fabric textile mills left in the US
and as I scanned through the list I saw some with Mexico factories.

But if you dont like that connecting threads are outsourced to another country forward this list to them

But please dont forget all of the quilt shop fabrics at are 50% more and still outsourced

http://www.apparelsearch.com/world_c..._Mills_USA.htm

Just from scanning it not many make cotton fabric
Old 08-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
No fabric can be made in the US for mass markets. No fabric mills are here anymore. It's gone, it's history. No matter what name of quilting fabric you buy, it's not made in the US. I like the marketing of CT and how their products are becoming something to take notice of. No big name designers to pay, no big name endorsement fees to pay, no big name spokesperson to pay, saves a lot of money and keeps the cost down. Adding a well known name to any merchandise and the price triples.

Originally Posted by Chele
I'd love to see what you disappointed folks sew with.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
excuse me I worked at Milliken & co world largest fabric manufacturing company, out of Spartanburg, Sc.