Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
contemplating an accuquilt go >

contemplating an accuquilt go

contemplating an accuquilt go

Old 06-24-2016, 07:19 PM

OnebyOne--thank you for the link to the YouTube tute on making the bias binding--I bookmarked it for when I get this quilt off the frame.

and like you, I fan fold my fabric--and even just leave the excess to the side as it won't cut it when going through the GoBig--but have to say I didn't figure that out the first few times I used it and was cutting fabric to size of die!
I think that I SAVE waste as I don't waste as much fabric and get such accurate cuts.

QuiltyBarb--try it! I think you will find it so much easier than rotary cutting all your pieces with your arthritis. My friend has RA and just got her's--says it's keeping her quilting when she was worried that she was going to have to slow down. mine is electric one (Big) but have used the Go and found the crank not hard to use at all.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:03 PM

I LOVE my Accuquilt!!! There is more waste when using an Accuquilt though. Personally I am willing to trade the waste in exchange for the cutting process being faster and every cut being accurate. I am still working full time, so any time saving measures are very valuable to me. I will be purchasing the new electric model in the future.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:34 AM

I have the Go and do like it, but find the cost of dies too high.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
true, and Sizzix dies are less expensive, but their choice is very limited last time I looked anyway, wish they would expand....another cutter is called crossover...I understand it takes any die, but I don't know anyone who has one.

i have both Sizzix and GO and not regretting either purchase. Sort of like having two- or more-sewing machines...each has its own job....
The Sizzix can use all of the go dies

rob
Old 06-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

JoAnn has the 1 1/2 strip cutter for the Go for 50% off right now.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

My cutting mats last a long time. I don't position them to be in the same cutting spot for each cut. Just move it a smidge in all directions for each cut. And I don't use all the mat if I am only cutting part of the die. I'm still using some of my original mats that are years old. I have enough new ones bought on clearance to last me for many many quilts. Never pass up a clearance price on anything consumable.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM

Lynnie, I'm sorry you had that experience. I've had my Studio for about a year and cut probably 8 quilts with it. It is wonderful for 2.5 strips, 6.5 strips, squares, etc. and makes cutting triangles a breeze. The worst thing about itis the price of the dies, but since my arms and hands complain loudly about rotary cutting I decided the dies are worth it.

Could be that the die your friend purchased was defective. Or are you talking about the plastic sheet you put over the die when cutting? That does tend to look pretty beat after a while, but even so mine work fine.

I also figured out that even though the studio says I can cut 8 layers, 6 is usually a better number of layers.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:10 PM

Great idea to cut paper first with a new die! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:27 PM

I think I know what you are saying, but not sure. I have the studio 2.5' strips, 5 strips across (12.5" total width cutting strips). I cut several 13.5" strips from the length of the fabric, fold them together lengthwise, press the fabric at the folds, and place it on the die so that I have about .5" extra on the outer edges of the length of the die. I get 5 sets of strips with one cut. I don't think the waste is excessive, and I have friends who take the thin .5" strips and use them as filling for dog beds, so, from my perspective, no real waste at all.

I press at the folds because it seems to minimize elbows at the fold lines.

Fan folding doesn't work as well for me.

Last edited by cathyvv; 06-25-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i used a friends machine and cut out hourglasses, by the time i was done, a throw, the cutting board was so chewed thru, i had to buy her a new one. So keep that in mind.
The CUTTING MATS are 'consumables', like rotary cutters. You have to replace them periodically. The dies should last forever with proper maintenance. Use the pick to remove threads, especially where the blades meet. I have friends who use my studio an dies. I have them purchase their own mats.