Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
contemplating an accuquilt go >

contemplating an accuquilt go

contemplating an accuquilt go

Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
You are correct....the app dies are designed for fusible method.
The shapes will be 1/4" smaller if you use them for turned applique. I cut shapes for my friend to hand applique using the Go. She does a neat block. Appliques all the pieces with a tiny background showing around each piece. Her nine patch block is stunning done this way.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:34 PM

I think you will find that the Silhouette, because of fusible required to cut the fabric, basically means raw edge applique too. Not sure how the Scan N' Cut treats applique.

Also--for those of you that oversize blocks and then cut them down--that works great on some blocks, but would mean cut off points on many(ask how I know?!). Because the Go does such an accurate job of cutting the pieces, the result is more accurate blocks.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:34 AM

I have the go, just the regular size, not baby or big. I love it, use it a lot. I only have a few dies, mostly use 2 1/2 strips. Am planning on using some of the others....someday! I got mine when the LQS decided to stop carrying them so it was 50% off. Good deal, good tool!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:36 AM

For me personally, while I don't use mine all the time, when I DO use it, I'm cutting a whole quilt. Sort of like making my own personal kit. When I do that, I often end up wishing I had bought the "Studio" cutter.

While I can't speak to the Sizzix or Scan&Cut or other die systems, here's my thoughts on the various AccuQuilt products and the pro's and con's of each:

GoBaby - Pro's - lightweight, very portable, perfect if you're planning to take it to a class. Con's - many of the AccuQuilt dies will NOT fit in this system. (Personally, I would NOT buy this one) Also, if you have hand/joint issues (RA, carpel tunnel, etc) this is a hand-crank system, so might be painful to use. It cannot use other companies' dies.

GO! - Pro's - all the AccuQuilt GO dies (but not the Studio dies) will fit; can cut 6 layers easily, 8 layers with a little "muscle"; Con's - again, this is a hand-crank system, so same concerns for hand/joint issues. Also, cannot use the Studio dies. It cannot use other companies' dies.

GO!Big - much the same as the regular "GO!", except this one is electric, so if you have those hand/joint issues, this is probably your best choice.

Studio cutter - Pro's - has larger dies, can accept all GO! dies (WITH AN ADAPTER); can handle more layers of fabric (which means you get done faster); also can accept other companies dies (again, with an adapter in some cases). Con's - again, this one is hand-crank (but I was told it is not as difficult as the Go! systems); Price may be a factor as well, as it's about $100 more than the GO!Big, but if you are a heavy user, this is the one I would recommend.

Even though I would not consider myself a "heavy" GO! user, I truly wish I had gotten the Studio version.

My comment to those who say they like being able to "trim" down... personally, I find that the cuts from my GO! actually make me be more accurate, especially the HST's, because of the dog-ears already being cut off (it's almost worth the cost just for that alone!). I have most of the strip sets, the Double Wedding Ring (talk about a LIFE SAVER!!!), the Dresden Plate (LOVE this die!!), as well as SunBonnet Sue and her boyfriend, and the Calico Cat and Gingham Dog dies.

Love my GO!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 AM

Found mine on craigs list. After I learned to cut correctly I got rid of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by briskgo View Post
Found mine on craigs list. After I learned to cut correctly I got rid of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw
Granted the video above on power cutting gives excellent and precise instruction for straight line cutting, but it too has its limitations on volume cutting.......she basically cuts yardage, whereas with die cutters you can cut chunks/scraps into shapes desired too. Like all the other 'tools" available today, we decide which works best for us. I personally have a GO with a multitude of dies and a Sizzix big shot with dies. Am now contemplating the big shot pro to allow purchase of the larger dies....but there again, my decision, because some of the dies offered from those mfgrs offer more challenging block creations with precise cuts.......JMHO
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 AM

I don't have a die cutter, but having used one I would say that yes, I really love it, and I will buy one when I'm closer to retirement (and will have more time for quilting).

My guild had one when I lived in a city, and I was able to cut out an entire apple core quilt in about half an hour. I would never have made that quilt if I had to cut the pieces with a template. That is my primary reason for wanting to buy one; it makes non-square cutting much easier.

I did use the HST die as well, and found that my blocks turned out so accurate that I didn't have to trim down. Maybe I would like HST's more if I had a die cutter... right now they're my least favorite part of quilting, and I haven't made one since I moved away from the Go.

There are certainly downsides; you're limited to the available die sizes, there is some waste (although not much when you get good at folding/preparing your fabric), the dies are expensive relative to rotary cutter blades, and it requires storage space. For me, these are far outweighed by the benefits of speed and accuracy that it provides.

I would definitely recommend the Go over the Go Baby; the Baby doesn't have the variety of dies available that I would want. I've only used the Go Baby at a store demo, but I also found it harder to crank than the Go.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The shapes will be 1/4" smaller if you use them for turned applique. I cut shapes for my friend to hand applique using the Go. She does a neat block. Appliques all the pieces with a tiny background showing around each piece. Her nine patch block is stunning done this way.
Do you have a picture? I'm not sure what you mean that there is a tiny background around each shape. Are the appliques put on the piecing? Thanks for answering, I just saw your reply. Beth
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM

I have the Studio. I love it. I tend to make big quilts, so it makes things easier. I used to have the Go and Go Baby, but they were small. I am really using my Studio a lot more now that I help with my QOV group, putting together kits. I cut a lot of strips and tumblers.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM

I love my go. I purchased it several years ago and buy my dies when they are on sale. I'm getting quite a collection. I really like the accuracy of the cuts. It helps with sewing the blocks together and keeping everything sized correctly. I'm happy that I made the decision to have one. I use it for cutting most of my quilts and embroidery work. It helps with the taming and cutting of scraps. I would be lost without it.