Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Contemplating a New Machine >

Contemplating a New Machine

Contemplating a New Machine

Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 PM

I had a Brother Project Runway for 4 years. I just upgraded to a Janome 6600p. I paid 2,000 including the table it sits into. Havent used it yet still waiting for it to come in. I bought it from a dealer. So much easier if you need service.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Once you pass the 500.00 mark for a regular sewing machine you are pretty much in the clear of getting a piece of junk with a bunch of problems. $1500.00 may not buy a "high end" machine but it will buy a darned nice machine that will have a good array of features quilters look for in a machine.
While you are shopoing for machines keep this in mind:
Singer, Pfaff, and Husqvarna/ Viking are all made by SVP holdings.
Janome makes Elna, and used to make Kenmore's with a 385. prefix before the model number.
Brother makes Babylock sewing machines.
Juki makes Juki.
Bernina makes Bernina but not Bernette for Bernina. I don't know who builds the Bernettes but they don't do a real good job of it, don't buy one.

I'm telling you this so you can compare apples to apples across some lines and be able to shop for the best deal on the same machine under a different brand name.
Have fun shopping!

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 05-23-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 PM

My Janome 6600p cost just a little less than $1500. I love it and it does everything I need it to do in terms of both quilting and dressmaking. I got mine new. The throat space is large and it has a lot of built in stitches.

eta--I also had a Juki HZL600 that cost about $800. I recently re-homed it. It was nice and well worth the $$$ but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable to use as the Janome.

Last edited by thanneaKS; 05-23-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 AM

I agree with the advise to go to the shops and try them out. I think you can get a pretty good machine for that amount of money. Try the janome and vikings. Also when you decide what you like call the independent dealers and ask for their lowest price. I saved quite a bit on my viking 770 that way. That was 8 years ago. Perhaps all the viking dealers are company now. Janome's are sold by independents. Happy shopping!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 AM

Keep your present machine if you buy a new one. Get what you want in the first place or you might be sorry later on. It is good to have a spare machine.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 AM

The one machine I haven't seen mentioned in the under $1500 price range is the Juki f600. If I didn't have WAY more machines than I needed/wanted, this would be my choice. I do have the Juki 2010Q and used the heck out of it before I bought my Grace frame. I believe the f600 falls into the same semi industrial category as the Juki straight stitch.

As It is, I have a BL Serenade that has all the bells & whistles I wanted, but is now discontinued. If you could find a good used one, it would be well under your budget. Also, a preowned Symphony or Espire would also be in your price range. I recently got a preowned BL Symphony that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

I have officially stopped buying machine, honest!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 AM

I have the Brother 1500 as well and it is the best machine for piecing and quilting. You get all the necessary feet with it and you can also get a felting attachment which costs extra. It is a straight stitcher only, made by Juki for Brother and is very strong. It sews through hems on denim jeans very easily. You can always use your little machine if you need zig zag.
Whatever you choose, I recommend you get a machine that has a straight stitch needle plate attachment as your stitching will be more professional for piecing and quilting.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 AM

After talking with Eleanor Burns at the "Road to California" quilt show 16 months ago, I purchased the Symphony Baby Lock, which has all the bells and whistles. They sell for around $3,500, but since it was used in the classroom at the show, I got it for $2,000, and after they checked it out, they shipped it free. I know this is more than you want to pay, but keep in mind the deals you can find at quilt shows. Happy shopping!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
The brother 1500 has a 9in throat, comes with all the feet (FMQ and walking, plus others). Costs under 700.00. But is only straight stitch machine. Does great piecing and quilting. Has thread cutter and needle down features, also knee lift and small extension table. Have mine on a frame for quilting right now, have used it on table and it does not move. But later you may decide you want some fancy stitches or just a zig zag for basic machine appliqué which this machine does not have.
Another yes on this, it is a fantastic machine, super for free motion. For your under your budget, you could probably get that machine for approx $700 and also the Brother 950D for fancy stitches, button holes, etc, and it also does embroidery, including Disney, 4 x4 hoop only though. I bet a Brother dealer would work with you on that plus get some classes. I have both of those machines, love them & sew every day. Currently doing the free motion on a quilt with a camping theme for my granddaughter to take to summer camp, it will include a matching pillowcase.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 AM

Have a new [this spring] Brother INNOVIS NX 450 Q---LOVE IT!!!!!---retail around $1500 but had a trade in--had a Pfaff for many years and really loved it also till the computer chip died---have not had to buy anything extra for the Brother but more bobbins---- the most important thing is the dealer---may spend a bit more than Wally World but more than worth it to have good back-up and instruction---am a "senior" and have sewed most of my life but still can use help