Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To continue or should I scrap and start over >

To continue or should I scrap and start over

To continue or should I scrap and start over

Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
Goodness, I don't know if I want to do a log cabin quilt or not if it's going to be this much trouble! I am left-handed but what would make this block difficult for a left-handed person?
I'm a leftie and made a log cabin in the 80s. I used Eleanor Burn's book and kept it opened up by the sewing machine and just followed the diagrams. Now trying to cross stitch as a southpaw-that is a challenge to say the least!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM

I think I have Eleanor Burns' book at home (I'm at work). I'm going to look for it when I get home. If I have that, maybe I'll try and use her method. I just hope I don't get as frustrated as others have been. I get frustrated and discouraged easily. But, I'm going to look for the book. Maybe there will be a Log Cabin in my future.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:50 PM

GMA Pat - don't be afraid of LOG CABIN.... There are lots of different ways to do them... And I have NEVER seen an ugly one....
Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 AM

I started a log cabin almost a year ago but put it away as it was so frustrating. I took it out recently and figured out that it was frustrating because all the pieces were cut just a little short. Well, that "llittle short"ness is cumulative. I told myself I was wasting time trying to make them fit and tossed the whole thing in the garbage. Didn't even keep it for scrap. What would I do with a gazillion 1-1/2 strips?? I feel much better that it's no longer hanging over my head saying, "finish me, finish me".
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
:thumbup: Yes, I have been sewing on and off all morning and everyone was right. I see the 2 seems I sew over. I have it going in a circle and it has finally clicked. Thank you everyone, I could not do this one without everyone's encouragement and advice. Will post pics, I promise. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...
How is it going? It sounds like you've pushed past the problems and are on your way toward finishing the top. I can't wait to see it!

I've never been much impressed with the "Quilt in a Day" type of books. To me, quilts that take only a few hours to make usually look like they've only taken a few hours to make. Just think, with all the time you have invested in this quilt, it is going to look amazing and I bet the graduate will love it. :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by quiltingfan
:thumbup: Yes, I have been sewing on and off all morning and everyone was right. I see the 2 seems I sew over. I have it going in a circle and it has finally clicked. Thank you everyone, I could not do this one without everyone's encouragement and advice. Will post pics, I promise. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...
How is it going? It sounds like you've pushed past the problems and are on your way toward finishing the top. I can't wait to see it!

I've never been much impressed with the "Quilt in a Day" type of books. To me, quilts that take only a few hours to make usually look like they've only taken a few hours to make. Just think, with all the time you have invested in this quilt, it is going to look amazing and I bet the graduate will love it. :thumbup:
I am still struggling with this quilt. Saw that I had left out a whole row when I was making one more block. Was doing 18 or so i thought until the end when I noticed I only had 17. Then realized that it was missing a bottom row. Will leave it as is because nobody will know unless you are a quilter. Now I am trying to square the blocks, but do not have a square ruler big enough. After that though it should be smooth sailing. OH my can't wait to finish.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 AM

I can sympathize! Try adding two rulers together and see if that gives you a big enough square. I end up having to do that more often than I'd like. I bought a 12.5" square ruler, thinking it would be big enough for anything I needed since I usually work in small pieces. Well, I now tell everyone who is buying a ruler to get the 20.5" square ruler instead of the smaller one.

I think you're right, no one but another quilter would realize you might be missing a row. Make sure to get a photo of the graduate receiving the quilt. The look of joy on her face will more than make up for all the hassles you've encountered with this quilt. ;)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 AM

OK I could not wait to finish everything. So I got the top done today and could not wait to show it off to someone.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88697.jpe  
Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Very Beautiful! You can be proud after all the turmoil.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Your quilt is just beautiful. My favorite color is purple. Great job!! Maybe I will try one but I doubt it will be as pretty as this.