Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Converted to Liquid Starch >

Converted to Liquid Starch

Converted to Liquid Starch

Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 AM

I ordered my first batch of liquid starch from Amazon, then found it at Walmart. But if you can't find it locally, try online.
Kathie
Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 AM

I will have to try using the liquid starch. The only time I used it was when I was making overall planters. Take a small kids overall, starch the heck out of it and then position it (using plastic bags) to sit on an coffee container. When it dries you can sit a small plant in it. I make a lollypop out of a button, small piece of a skewer and piece of fabric. They turn out cute. I think I still have a bottle of the liquid....lets see if I can find it.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM

My favorite thing to use is Mary Ellen's Best Press, but I am unable to get it where I now live. I have been using Niagara non aerosol starch but don't know exactly how that is going to act in the future. I usually wash the quilt after it is done so I guess it will be okay.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM

My grandmother always starched her fabric with liquid starch. She had a cloth bag that she would put the wet, starched fabric in and then placed it in her icebox. She would leave it there for several hours and then iron. She said the cold made the starch stick to the fabric and not flake when she ironed. I have never tried that, but this thread reminded me and I just might.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM

I use the mixture of vodka and liquid starch as I like a stiffer outcome. I also use hangers with clips to hang the fabric up to dry over my extra sink down in the basement. Let it dry and then iron before cutting. Seems to help with the stretching of the fabric for me.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

Geri, I wish I could be that neat! I don't plan on dragging the quilts to the floor. It just happens. I don't prewash the fabrics either. I know many people do, but that's just an extra step I don't take. I may live to regret that one.

You are so right about everyone finding a way that works for them. It amazes me how many ways the folks on this board have of accomplishing the same thing. I learn something every day.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 AM

Ladies just be careful when mixing. My first batch was tooooo thick the fabric came out stffer than paper.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM

I like the liquid Niagara too. Dilute with a little water & put in spray bottle. Recently found some Niagara in a non-aerosol spray bottle. Has a faint pleasant smell, cost something around $2 but doesn't make fabric real stiff. Bought it at WalMart. Sprays a very fine mist. I always wash my quilts after I bind. Makes them so soft and I like the wrinkled look.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Dotty, I like your idea of skirt hangers for hanging yardage. I use liquid starch too - less gets in the air like it does with spray cans. I soak the fabric in a dishpan of 1/2 starch and 1/2 water. Then I gently squeegee the fabric out and hang it up. I put cafe curtain rods across the whole shower/tub and drape the fabric over them to let it drip dry into the tub.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM

I am going to give it a try. i use spray starch then let it dry prior to ironing