Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Converting Block Size  -  HELP PLEASE ! >

Converting Block Size - HELP PLEASE !

Converting Block Size - HELP PLEASE !

Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM

Red face Block Resizing

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
The second block is a 7 x 7 block. On my screen the corner block measures 1 cm, and the middle block measures 1.5 cm, for a total of 3.5 cm across. That can easily be done as a 21" block, but for 20" you'd have to use decimals.

For a 21" block, the corners would be 6" squares finished (6.5" unfinished), the center top would be 12" wide (12.5 unfinished), but it's not a flying geese unit, I think I would need a template for this one. The center top is divided in thirds in both directions. Probably the easiest way to piece that piece would be to make a quarter square triangle block 12 " square, then cut off the part you don't need. The center square is a snowball unit. It would be 12" square (12.5 unfinished), with 4" finished (I think this would use 4.5" unfinished) squares sewn on the diagonal on each corner.

For 20" you're on your own.
You are so right about increasing the size to 21" - guess my math brain was in sleep mode ! I really appreciate all your effort in figuring all the piece sizes to make the block 21". I will be doing a test piece ASAP to make sure I have understood everything as I have not done any quilting in a very long time. I'm sure I have forgotten lots !

Thank you again.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Kathie - Lets back up - How are these blocks going to interact? Side by side they will look like this - even at 21". 21" does, however, make the math easier.

This is the mock up in EQ as I have both of these blocks and can make them any size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]415207[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cherisews View Post
Kathie, you can but it won't be easy. The first block has 3 squares to make up the block. 20 inches divided by 3 is not an easy number to work with (6.66 inches). 18 inch block (6" squares) or 21 inch block (7" squares) would be easier to do. And you can get a 19 1/2 inch block with 6 1/2" squares. I'm not even going to guess on the second block because the squares within the block do not appear to be the same size.

Cheri, I used a ruler on my monitor screen and it appears the small block is this scale------3/8" corner blocks and then 3/4" center block. Which would indicate the center is just twice what the corners are. BUT IT SURE DOESN'T LOOK THAT WAY! Going to measure again
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Kathie - Lets back up - How are these blocks going to inteThis is the mock upract? Side by side they will look like this - even at 21". 21" does, however, make the math easier.

in EQ as I have both of these blocks and can make them any size.[ATTACH=CONFIG]415207[/ATTACH]
I really like the mock ups that you so generously did. I think the 21" blocks look great ! I am thinking of framing each block - then 3 rows across and 4 rows down. Hopefully, in each block the centres and the star points can be made the same size so they will line up. I will have one very happy little Grandson when this is finished.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Both blocks would redraft into 21 inch finished size blocks quite easily.

If you are planning to use both blocks in the same piece - I would make a couple of sample blocks to see how if like how they line up together - or if you like the secondary pattern that will develop.

If you redraft them in the proportions shown - the points won't line up - if that's what you are planning to do.

ETA:

eparys already did what I was thinking!

Good illustration, eparys!

ETA some more:

If I was planning to use alternate blocks, I would have them both be based on the same grid. I think the design would flow better.

They are both lovely blocks - but I find them 'jarring' together.

But this is your project - - - -

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-24-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

If you are planning to use both blocks in the same piece - I would make a couple of sample blocks to see how if like how they line up together - or if you like the secondary pattern that will develop.

If you redraft them in the proportions shown - the points won't line up - if that's what you are planning to do.

ETA:

eparys already did what I was thinking!

Good illustration, eparys!

ETA some more:

If I was planning to use alternate blocks, I would have them both be based on the same grid. I think the design would flow better.

I will definitely be making sample blocks as I am not sure either how these will look together evven with sashing. Thank you for the advice - I really appreciate it !
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM

The mathematician in me agrees

I do as well - at least side by side ... however on point I think they look nice. Just thinking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]415276[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
The mathematician in me agrees

I do as well - at least side by side ... however on point I think they look nice. Just thinking.[ATTACH=CONFIG]415276[/ATTACH]

I love the on point suggestion ! I guess "the visualization" that you have (and I don't) comes from experience............... Maybe one day.............. !!! Thanks so much.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

When set on point like that - it makes it interesting - the pattern blocks have a lot in common - but there is something 'different' about them that I think would make viewers ponder about what it IS that is different about them.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Kathie - it is practice. But since I or any other QB members have no preconceived ideas about the quilt in your head, we may come up with options that you have not considered. I, oddly enough, find it easier to play in EQ on designs for others than to struggle and design a quilt for me sometimes, lol. Let me know If I can help.