Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cooler Quilt Batting? >

Cooler Quilt Batting?

Cooler Quilt Batting?

Old 07-30-2019, 03:09 AM

Default Cooler Quilt Batting?

I'm in the planning stage of my first ever quilt (never done any real sewing or quilting before so I'm learning as I go) - and am stuck on which batting material to use.

It's not really meant to be used to sleep under every night, but I will be covering up with it on the sofa and perhaps taking the occasional nap under it. As someone who gets fairly hot in their sleep, I don't know which batting to use that won't make it unnecessarily worse.

Any recommendations?

*It would be preferable if it's a good material that will withstand repeated washing without bunching up or anything like that (at least not within a reasonable time frame)

*I also plan on doing the majority of the sewing with a machine as well, rather than hand stitching (medical issues make handstitching harder and take longer than it probably should)
Old 07-30-2019, 03:21 AM

I like Hobbs 80/20, thats 80% cotton, 20% polyester. It's lightweight and I don't find it to be heavy or warm. I washes up really nice, I have some lap quilts that are over ten years old and they are still in one piece and the grandkids are still using them.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 AM

I too get very warm/hot under the covers so I have come to use Warm and Natural batting most of the time. It is a light weight cotton batting very easy to quilt either by machine or hand. It is unlikely to bunch up. I have quilts that have been through the wash a number of times over 20+ years and have not shifted. It is easy to sandwich and prepare for quilting too. I will use a poly bat for other things like wall hangings or even baby quilts. My preference though is W&N.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:44 AM

Another Warm & Natural user here. And I wake constantly during the night being too hot. I do not have one of my own quilts on my bed. The ones I use on my sofa made with W&N are just peachy. Sooner or later I will get around to making a quilt for my own bed. I like natural fibers as they will breathe vs the poly battings.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I use W&N or the bleached version, Warm and White, for most of my quilts.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM

I know everyone loves warm and natural but me. I prefer a lighter fluffier poly batt. W&N is heavy. I really regret using it in my July quilt and while I very rarely remake a quilt due to various reasons I bought similar fabrics and plan on redoing it with a very thin poly batt.

On the positive side, W&N is very easy to quilt with and if you want to do a lot of quilting it holds up well to that. I don't want to do a lot of quilting! It's beautiful and wonderful the things people do with quilting, but my mind doesn't think in that 3D direction, I think in terms of flat colors and shapes.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:03 AM

Welcome from Texas. I have found Fairfield Toasty Cotton to be a thinner batting than Warm & Natural (which I used to use all the time). I've never used it in a quilt for myself but have made several with it & it seems to make a thinner quilt. I bought mine from JoAnn's.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:21 AM

I live in Houston, TX and so deal with a lot of heat and humidity and very little cold weather. I used to use Warm & Natural, but have switched to Quilter's Dream Request batting. It's a natural batting so it will breath and is cooler than a poly batting. It's also lighter weight (and thus thinner) than W&N. I really like it.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 AM

I really like and use quite often is the Hobbs 80/20. I also use Warm and Natural but only for wall hangings and table runners. Good luck on your new adventure of quilting
Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

My summer quilt has Hobbs Wool batting. It is lightweight and lofty, breaths, is a wonderful batting to work with. I love Hobbs and dream wool batting the best.
as for the ( separating concern) on each batting package there is quilting distance recommendations. It is important to quilt your quilt at least as close as the package recommends to ensure your batting doesn’t separate when used/ laundered. So, if the package says up to 4” make sure you have quilting lines at least every 4” in all directions. More stitching is fine, less could be a problem