Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coolest tip ever: Turning an Aurifil Spool around. >

Coolest tip ever: Turning an Aurifil Spool around.

Coolest tip ever: Turning an Aurifil Spool around.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 PM

I'm not getting this, either, and my thread is supposed to wind "underhand," or up from the bottom. Seems like you could flip the spool over.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 06-19-2014, 03:42 AM

I always use my thread stand from Superior Threads and the instructions that came with it tell me how to handle the spool. I never bother with the one on my machine anymore.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 AM

I'm with you....why can't you just flip the spool....also use the Superior Thread stand...smooth sewing.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

On my machine having the big spool end at the left on the horizontal spool pin doesn't work that great even using the machine spool end cover. The end of Aurifil pops off easy on every spool I own. I have the Superior thread stand and it's great.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 AM

This is a great tip. I shared it with my small guild yesterday and no one knew about it. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:58 AM

I use mine with a thread stand also--or if using on the machine pin I place it vertically, but good to know you can reverse the ends--I do so love Aurifil.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I always use my thread stand from Superior Threads and the instructions that came with it tell me how to handle the spool. I never bother with the one on my machine anymore.
Ditto - that is a great stand - it can handle just about any configuration. And EVERYTHING goes better with it - no more spools sliding up or sliding across or end-caps flying off or catching on the thread...I had been told I could make my own, and I tried, but that superior stand is worth its weight in gold IMHO.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I'm with you....why can't you just flip the spool....also use the Superior Thread stand...smooth sewing.
My thoughts too.....
Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

lol....

I'll fully admit to being a little OCD when it comes to sewing stuff. I like pretty machines and I'm probably the only person that doesn't mind watching a bobbin wind. I just love the whole process of sewing and playing with the machine.

Those darn Aurifil spools look just *wrong* with their orange butt end to the left on my machine, to me, anyway.

I have a thread stand for the back of the machine I use the most... but to be honest, I don't like using it (it's prettier without it - lol) and while I fully agree the Superior thread stand is a useful thing, I don't like the looks of it, nor do I want one more thing on my sewing table. I like having the thread where it *belongs* ...on the machine. lol.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Maybe I just don't get it but why can't you just turn the spool around and use the larger spool cap provided with your machine. Why do you have to take the end off the spool? I tried to take my off and it wouldn't budge. What am I missing here?
See my previous post... I'm a little warped, I guess, in finding enjoyment in seeing the orange butt end to the right when I sew.

I switched all of mine around, and it just took a little wiggle and they all popped right off.... so not sure why yours wouldn't.

As for spool caps - I rarely use mine. The thread feeds off of the spools just fine without the spool turning or moving on the spindle for me. But again, I'm not a high-speed sewer... so maybe the lead-foots out there might need those caps to batten everything down.