Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cooperating Teacher Gift?

Cooperating Teacher Gift?

I'm currently student teaching in a fourth grade classroom.
    I would like to get my cooperating teacher a thank you gift for letting me invade her classroom for 9 weeks. She is thinking about retiring soon so I don't want to get her anything super teacher-y. Do you think it would be appropriate to make a table runner or wall hanging? I don't know what her favorite colors or what her home is like.
    Suggestions on colors or pattern?
    Thanks!

I think either would be appropriate. Everyone has dressers (table runners make great dresser scarfs) as well as a table. I would be inclined to stay somewhat neutral with my colors--colors that will go with anything type (as opposed to neon colors, for example.) Good luck.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

As a former teacher, I would say, ABSOLUTELY! See what colors her clothes tend to be, or black and white quilts are popular now, or if she is a primary grade teacher, How about Dr. Seuss anything?? mary

Blog Entries
    How about a holiday theme?
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I think a table runner or wallhanging would be great!! You might check with other teachers on staff and see if they know what colors she likes.

Blog Entries
    I agree.... a table runner or wallhanging would be a great choice. Regarding colors.... what colors does she tend to wear frequently? That is usually a great clue of what her preferences are.

Good luck!.... and congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

Blog Entries
    Great idea! Teachers are never appreciated enough!

What a thoughtful idea. I supervise student teachers for the local university, and it is a lot of work being a mentor teacher. It is hard to share your classroom, and it is hard to think of everything a beginning teacher needs to know. (I taught for 39 years and had 9 student teachers. I know....) The mentor teacher will really appreciate being appreciated!!

Dina

What about a tote?

I would say a table runner is always a safer bet than a wall hanging as not everyone has a wall that that particular wall hanging would fit. I did learn that the hard way.

Older people seem to get cooler than others in a room. A simple to make lap quilt would be nice.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

either would be great but i think something "teachery" theme would still be Ok if that is what she has devoted her life to

Quote Originally Posted by kiesh View Post
    I'm currently student teaching in a fourth grade classroom.
    I would like to get my cooperating teacher a thank you gift for letting me invade her classroom for 9 weeks. She is thinking about retiring soon so I don't want to get her anything super teacher-y. Do you think it would be appropriate to make a table runner or wall hanging? I don't know what her favorite colors or what her home is like.
    Suggestions on colors or pattern?
    Thanks!
    Just start chattering about your kitchen/dining room and slip in a question about what colors she uses.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Table runner for sure. I've been teaching 34 years so see that end of it, but have an autistic grandson whose 4-year-old classroom I visit. (He's in another school district, but about once a month I try to go spend about 1/2 a day in his room to help with routines, social interaction,etc.) Anyway, for Christmas I made runners for his music, PE, classroom, principal and aide. They were a hit. May I suggest putting springtime colors on one side and fall colors on the other? Or some kind of reversible one anyway. They'll have choice and get more use that way. I piece one side, but make the other whole-cloth (like the 10 minute runner). That makes quilting easier since you don't have to try to match the top to the bottom seams. GREAT idea!
    So many quilts, so little time.

Unless she is a quilter herself I wouldn't make her a table runner without knowing if she likes them and what her colors are. I have not seen a table runner in a person's home that wasn't a quilter or related to a quilter in a couple of decades. If she attends the school's games maybe a lap quilt to wrap around her at the game would be nice or one for her car if she is married. Most husbands tend to keep a car cooler than a wife likes.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-19-2012 at 05:17 AM.