Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
coordinating pillow ideas? >

coordinating pillow ideas?

coordinating pillow ideas?

Old 08-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Default coordinating pillow ideas?

I have some leftover fabric from making a twin sized quilt for someone (by request) and thought it would be nice to make a pillow or something with the leftover fabric. Does anyone have ideas?

I have a bunch (36?) of little HSTs that I got for free when I snowballed the corners for the bowtie blocks, they are half black and half white Architextures fabric. I also have lots of the purple small print ECU fabric, 1/2 yard or more of the black Architextures, and 1/8+ yards of the rest of the fabrics. The only one I don't have much of is the large print yellow and purple one because I had to do a lot of fussy cutting, but I am sure I could probably pull out a few more small blocks from it, or even just go buy some more.

Sorry I don't have a photo of my quilt top... I dropped it off for quilting without taking any pictures of the completed top. See below for the quilt pattern and fabrics, and you can get an idea of it. And here are a few photos of the blocks in progress so you can see the fabrics I used. The final borders aren't pictured here... there is a solid purple outer border, the inner borders are the black crosshatch and solid yellow you see in one photo.

I used this pattern:
http://thesweetteagirls.danemcoweb.c...-die-hard-fan/

Bowtie Blocks:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528760[/ATTACH]
Inner Borders:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528761[/ATTACH]

Top before borders:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528762[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1328.jpg   img_1537.jpg   img_1519.jpg  

Last edited by romille; 08-25-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 PM

I'd be tempted to make a pillowcase using the Magic Pillowcase technique, which I love. Are you familiar with that? It uses three pieces of fabric: body, accent strip, and cuff. The three pieces are all cut wof, then stacked in a specific way, sewn with a seam, and resulting tube is turned inside out.

Lovely quilt, btw!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM

I was also thinking a pillow case. Maybe you could piece the HSTs for the cuff
Old 08-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

I say pillow or pillowcase too!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:46 PM

I would make a Tube Pillowcase. If you are not familiar with it, check out one of the Tube Pillowcase tutorials. There is a good one on the Missouri Star Quilt web site.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I'd be tempted to make a pillowcase using the Magic Pillowcase technique, which I love. Are you familiar with that? It uses three pieces of fabric: body, accent strip, and cuff. The three pieces are all cut wof, then stacked in a specific way, sewn with a seam, and resulting tube is turned inside out.

Lovely quilt, btw!
I think I know this as the "burrito style" pillowcase method, which I love too. I don't know how well that would work for something that is pieced though. I don't have enough yardage to cover a pillow without piecing.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM

Do you have enough fabrics to piece together for a pillowcase? Maybe sew the seams as you see on the sides of jeans. Or how about a bag to carry PJs for an overnight?