Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coping as a left-hander >

Coping as a left-hander

Coping as a left-hander

Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 AM

I'm a lefty and like most of us lefties, I've had trouble living in a righty world, too. Personally I think rotary cutters are a gift from the gods! Cause, unlike scissors, rotary cutters are ambidextrous, you just switch the blade to the other side! And take pride in knowing that many of the top national quilters are lefties. Yippee!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:08 AM

Enjoyed the post about learning to crochet. My mom was very patient but couldn't teach me to crochet left handed and after many days of trying, she told me if I wanted to learn to crochet I needed to get that hook in my right hand. I now crochet right handed. It was really awkward at first. I decided I wanted to learn to knit and took lessons. The teacher tried mirrors, sitting directly in front of me, and finally told me to take the book and try it however I could make it work. I do lots of knitting but hold the right needle between my legs, manuver the yarn in my right hand and hold the project in my left. Looks goofy but works for me. I use a rotary cutter that you just turn it upside down for leftie cutting. Don't even need to change the blade to the other side. Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by littlehud
I can cut either way with mine. It can be hard being left handed. I am too.
Maybe but aren't lefties more artistic than us righties??? :D:D:D
That's what "they" say, but it doesn't work that way for this lefty!!! :cry:
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Originally Posted by Leftie
I am fairly new to patchwork and quilting but very keen to learn. I have my cutting board and rotary cutter but am having difficulties getting to grips with it as a left hander - as usual, everything is produced for right handed people. Any hints please to help me use my new equipment? Many thanks.
I, too, am a lefty and have had to learn to adapt. I hold the rotary cutter in my left hand and the ruler with my right. When I want to make my first clean cut, my fabric lays on my cutting board with the bulk of the fabric towards the right and I square up my fabric. Then to begin cutting strips I have to turn the fabric the opposite direction (the bulk facing left) and use my ruler as a cutting guide not the mat. That may not be the correct way but it's easiest for me. I also need to be sure that at least 3 fingers and my palm are holding my ruler straight. It will take time to find the best way for you but you'll get the hang of it. Don't get frustrated. It's practice that will help you as you continue. The other issue I have is when I have layed out my blocks to get ready to cut. If I don't label them I have a tendency to sew the blocks on the opposite side. Hang in there.
Joanie, this is exactly the way I do it too!! Didn't think there was another way for lefties that works!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM

As a lefty, I started buying all lefty cutters, scissors, etc., but have found if I have the ones that can be used either way, I can snip small areas with my rt. hand as well. As I mentioned on another topic, the revolving cutting mat is wonderful as directions are always for righties and you can just turn the mat if you've lined it up wrong to cut as a lefty. Don't give up; I'm sure you have adapted many other tasks in your lifetime and it will get easier with time. I made folding wallets for Christmas presents---the Vera Bradley king---my lefty friends were so happy to receive a wallet that worked for them. Everything is usually geared for the right-handed.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 AM

you can put your blade on the other side of your rotary cutter.
i am a lefty also and you just have to learn how to left-side everthing. good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 AM

[ I do lots of knitting but hold the right needle between my legs, manuver the yarn in my right hand and hold the project in my left. Looks goofy but works for me.

My grandmother taught me crocheting & knitting by sitting knee to knee. I can crochet easily but I couldn't get the hang of knitting because my right hand just is too clumsy to hold up the knitting needle correctly so I tried the way you do with the needle between my legs. Unfortunately my yard got tighter and tighter until I choked it and it just wouldn't work for me. I gave up and went on to other crafts instead.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Leftie
I am fairly new to patchwork and quilting but very keen to learn. I have my cutting board and rotary cutter but am having difficulties getting to grips with it as a left hander - as usual, everything is produced for right handed people. Any hints please to help me use my new equipment? Many thanks.
Olfa makes a "Quick Change" rotary cutter, where only half of the blade needs to be exposed at one time, and is perfect for left handers. I am trying to learn to cut with both hands (I'm right handed), and this cutter I can just switch from one hand to the other without having to change the blade setting.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 AM

Almost all of the Rotary cutters are ambitextrous. It's a learning process to go from scissors to rotary.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Thank you very much. I am amazed at all the helpful and sympathetic replies I have received. I have now changed the blade to the other side of the cutter and am practising hard. I am still having to turn the board all the way around but I am getting pretty good results. Thanks again.