Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cording in the bias binding edge? >

Cording in the bias binding edge?

Cording in the bias binding edge?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Has anyone put cording in the binding around the outside edge of their quilt? I has a little bit bigger than usual amount of bias around a quilt that seems to need something "stuffed" into it and I wondered if cording would be appropriate.

Don't know if it would add accent as I'd like, or would it make an area of the quilt more likely to wear out sooner.

Any ideas or opinions? I don't want to take ALL of that over-size binding off, what should I do with the extra space if I don't put cording in it? It's a big lap quilt.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM

how would you get the cording into the binding?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
Any ideas or opinions? I don't want to take ALL of that over-size binding off, what should I do with the extra space if I don't put cording in it? It's a big lap quilt.
You wouldn't have to take the binding OFF the quilt, but just undo the stitching on the back to resew it down. You might get a wider binding on the back, but that's fine, and preferable to a loose and unfilled one.

And here are Sharon Schamber's videos on binding. Watch these to see how do get perfectly tight binding every time. There are 3 parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
how would you get the cording into the binding?
I haven't fastened the back of the binding down yet. I'm assuming I would just tuck it in next to the side of the edge and wrap the binding around to the back and THEN sew it down, probably by hand. Goodness, I wouldn't want to unsew it!! haha
Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I'm whole heartedly with MTS, I would simply make the binding wider on the back. Even though you haven't sewn it down not sure how putting cording in the binding would work. I would think unless you did a securing stitch that would encase the binding tightly it would simply shift inside and not stay put on the outer edge of the quilt as you envision. I'm not sure, even with the securing stitch, it would have the same look as a say a pillow with piping around the edge. A pillow is a much fatter surface for the piping/cording to nestle against as opposed to a quilt. A larger binding on the back would be the cleanest solution. I normally have it wider on the back anyway.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM

oh yeah since you haven't sewed it down on the back you can go around it again and take a bit wider seam, it will be covered, or like the others said you can just have it a bit wider on the back, we won't send the quilt police after you, promise ;-)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM

You could use a narrow strip of batting and stuff as you go sewing down the back.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM

http://www.tmequilting.com/PDFs/Handout.pdf
a tutorial.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM

I would think the corners might be a bit problematic with inserting Cording, unless you cut it at the corner and start again after you miter the corner... maybe...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Consider how stiff or soft would the cording be? If someone is sleeping under the quilt, will the edge 'drape' in the same way as the quilt?