Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: corduroy quilts

Blog Entries

corduroy quilts

Anyone made quilts from corduroy? My group has a huge stash of different colors and would love to make a tie quilt. Just not sure how to do ti or what pattern to use.

Blog Entries
    I've used it as a combination batting/backing on some charity quilts. It needs a couple of washings to soften it up a bit.

Why not a scrappy nine-patch combining the cordoroy with other fabrics? I look forward to see what you do ....
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    one of my favorite quilts is a patchwork one with squares of corduroy alternating with squares of denim---it's a raggy quilt and just awesome! i also have used corduroy many times for appliques. nice heavy-warm quilts!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I remember my GM made a crazy quilt out of corduroy that she did the feather stitch around it. It was my GF's lap quilt when the weather was cold and damp.

Blog Entries
    I made a rag quilt recently with corduroy and cotton squares. love it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to mix up corduroy and flannel in my rag quilts. It gives a nice texture, and it rags well.

I have made two quilts from corduroy and they are the family's favorites. I buy pants from goodwill and just make big stripes of color. I put jersey fabric on the back, cotton batting and tie them with yarn. The best!

Name:  WP_002031.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  721.6 KBMine was nothing fancy, but it's a great quilt. I made it probably 25 years ago out of old pants, jackets and scraps of corduroy. I backed it with a flannel sheet and tied it with yarn.

I made a quilt with soft corduroy and flannels in an effort to make a manly-ish quit for my nephew. Its a turning 20. I didn't find it hard to work with, but what I bought wasn't super stiff. The solid blue and green were cord.

Beth

I love it!

My mom made several quilts out of scraps she got from a sewing plant several years. The quilts were very nice. When it was time to divide the quilts she left we all wanted the corduroy one.
    Lorraine

My very first quilt was cordouroy. I made a block with diamonds in a square (I thought it was called friendship square, but I can't find it by that name) - but I would recommend something more like what is shown earlier in this thread - nice straight seams, square (or rectangle) blocks. The quilt is lovely - but HEAVY. Be warned.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zlebYLQpf_...onds_quilt.JPG

Power Poster
    Corduroy is much the same as working with denim. The seams can be thick if they all come together at the intersections. They do well ragged or in a running bond brick pattern where the seams are offset.

I made a corduroy quilt from small squares cut from my daughter's toddler pants. It means way more to me than it would to her, so I kept it. She can have it later...much later.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie nolan View Post
    Anyone made quilts from corduroy? My group has a huge stash of different colors and would love to make a tie quilt. Just not sure how to do ti or what pattern to use.
    I made this one with scraps from some of my old skirts, jackets, a dear friends pants (who has since died). I love this quilt. I lined it with a flannel sheet. I pieced the back also with corduroy, so yes, it's heavy but when I get really chilled in the winter, this is the one I grab off of my couch and wrap up in it. I stay under it until I crawl in bed.

This is the only picture I could find on my computer- it shows it unfinished. But, other than the binding (which really sets it off), this is what it looks like. The binding is the green colored corduroy.
    Last edited by himnherr; 08-13-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie nolan View Post
    I made this one with scraps from some of my old skirts, jackets, a dear friends pants (who has since died). I love this quilt. I lined it with a flannel sheet. I pieced the back also with corduroy, so yes, it's heavy but when I get really chilled in the winter, this is the one I grab off of my couch and wrap up in it. I stay under it until I crawl in bed.

This is the only picture I could find on my computer. I bound it with the green corduroy, which really sets it off.

Sorry about the double post. :-/