Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of fabric to go up...   Mod edit, please read post #6 >

Cost of fabric to go up... Mod edit, please read post #6

Cost of fabric to go up... Mod edit, please read post #6

Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Default Cost of fabric to go up... Mod edit, please read post #6

I was just at a retreat with some fabric shop owners and they said they have been notified that fabric will be going up 25% very soon. Has anyone else heard about this?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Glad I have enough stash to last for years.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Yes, I've heard that fabric is going up. There was a post a while back that said fabric would be subject to the new tariff. Also, China has purchased up all the futures in cotton.

(I'm repeating what I read here and have not personally verified it.)

bkay
Old 01-17-2019, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I've heard rumors but I have enough to last me about 5 lifetimes.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I've heard rumors but I have enough to last me about 5 lifetimes.
Me, too!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM

I sent an email to Scott Fortunoff and asked him these questions. He has quite a resume: He is President of A.E. Nathan Fabric, Blank Quilting, Studio E, Co-President of FreeSpirit, and Vice-President of Henry Glass Fabrics. He responded in less than 10 minutes to my inquiry!

Here is his reply:

That sounds like a bunch of stuff mushed together to create confusion. Here are the facts:

1. The 25% that they are probably referring to is the tariffs that may go into effect from China. The tariff is currently at 10% and prices probably have gone up a little. As a consumer, you may or may not notice this increase. If in March, the US and China don’t settle the trade dispute the tariff could go up 25%. That would only impact fabric and other stuff coming from China. With that being said, the majority of fabrics come from Korea. In any case, no one knows what will happen in March. Personally, and this is totally my opinion, I am not so confident that the US and China can settle. However, I hope they do.
2. China can’t possibly buy all the cotton futures. That’s just nonsense and I can’t really speak to that b/c I haven’t even heard anything like that.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-17-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:22 PM

Thank you Peckish for putting this rumor to rest and going to a reliable source.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 PM

I expected it because of tarriffs. Of course, it won't be just quilting fabric. Sheets, clothing, towels and Lord knows what else will be increasing in price.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM

Marshalls Dry Goods raised their prices by 50 cents a yard at the first of the year. Their fabrics are still cheaper than most but I hate to see the increased prices.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I sent an email to Scott Fortunoff and asked him these questions. He has quite a resume: He is President of A.E. Nathan Fabric, Blank Quilting, Studio E, Co-President of FreeSpirit, and Vice-President of Henry Glass Fabrics. He responded in less than 10 minutes to my inquiry!

Here is his reply:

That sounds like a bunch of stuff mushed together to create confusion. Here are the facts:

1. The 25% that they are probably referring to is the tariffs that may go into effect from China. The tariff is currently at 10% and prices probably have gone up a little. As a consumer, you may or may not notice this increase. If in March, the US and China don’t settle the trade dispute the tariff could go up 25%. That would only impact fabric and other stuff coming from China. With that being said, the majority of fabrics come from Korea. In any case, no one knows what will happen in March. Personally, and this is totally my opinion, I am not so confident that the US and China can settle. However, I hope they do.
2. China can’t possibly buy all the cotton futures. That’s just nonsense and I can’t really speak to that b/c I haven’t even heard anything like that.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much for this information. I guess everything will go up in costs - but, at least we can rest a little at understand it will not be 25% across the board.