Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cost of handquilting a queen sized quilt >

cost of handquilting a queen sized quilt

cost of handquilting a queen sized quilt

Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Default cost of handquilting a queen sized quilt

Can someone give me an idea of what it would cost to have a queen sized quilt hand quilted? I have been researching online, but I haven't really found the answer. I haven't quit researching, but I am hopeful someone here can give me an idea of what it might cost.

(One of my aunts found a quilt top that her aunt made a long time ago. She is interested in having it hand quilted, and she asked me what it might cost. I am trying to find an answer for her.)

Thanks.

Dina
Old 02-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Around here they charge by the spool of thread Dina. Now this was some time ago I priced it out,the quilter was a prized expert, but, it was Really expensive for the full sized one was around $400.00.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I think the cost varies in different regions, just as it does with machine quilting. And of course it depends greatly on the quilting density.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:34 PM

Dunster is right. We could give you what would be "typical" in our region, but that could vary widely and you'd be just as informed as you are now.

Your better bet is to ask around locally for recommendations and interview potential quilters for this project. Check with your local quilt shops and guilds. Another great place to look is your local churches. Many times churches have a group of ladies who like to have old-fashioned quilting bees, where they all sit around a large frame at the same time and socialize as they quilt.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 AM

I think it runs about one penny per square inch for simple echo quilting--around where I live. It really depends on the area and how customized you want it to be.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:52 AM

Thanks. I figured it would depend on a lot of different things. I will do some local research. I did tell my aunt it would be expensive, but that is pretty vague.

Dina
Old 03-01-2018, 06:09 AM

My aunt does it by the min. hourly wage. She keeps up with her time.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

The only hand quilter I know starts at $200 for crib size and doubles with each size up. Her quilting is excellent and custom to the quilt pattern. She does it to relax so doesn't rush and doesn't take one to do on a deadline.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:25 AM

I think everyone is widely underestimating the cost of hand quilting. I'm sure there are social groups, senior citizen centers, etc. who will hand quilt for one cent per inch. (Please tell me where they are.)

I'm in Dallas and long arm quilting is two cents an inch, and sometimes they add the cost of thread. That doesn't include the backing or batting. That's just computer quilting, not custom quilting. So, you're talking about the $200.00 range for machine quilting.

I've been told that there are deals to be had in small towns. I haven't found them, though. My cousin told me about some one like that, but she was booked for the next 6 weeks and was not taking any additional work until she caught up.

Tell your Aunt the cost of machine quilting and see if she is still interested before you spend a lot of time looking for someone.

bkay
Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 AM

I hand quilt and a queen size would run between $500.00 and $1,000.00 depending on the amount of quilting. My mother hand quilted for others and charged $1500.00 and quilted for a lot of people, she passed away in 2006. Just figure it to be expensive. Anyone that hand quilts, and quilts with 10 stitches to the inch (or there abouts), knows what I mean.