Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cotton fabric not absorbing water, need help.

Cotton fabric not absorbing water, need help.

I want to make baby bibs from some beautiful quilters cotton I picked up, but even after two washes, they still repel water. Anyone have tips on how I can wash to make them absorb the water and not repel it?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-09-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: remove duplicatation

Blog Entries
    I don't have an answer, but wanted to welcome you to the QB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Thank you!

Are you using fabric softener ?? When you use fabric softener it builds up a film that prevents absorbtion of water (like when your towels no long seem to absorb water) I would soak them in some washing soda and re wash them im hot water sans any fabric softener to see if that helps. Do we get to see pics of the bibs ...... I'm sure someone will come along and give better advice.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    hmmm, perhaps nothing will soak in, even stains. that would be a good thing. you might call where you bought the fabric and ask them.

I didn't use any fabric softener, just tide. I bought them from Jo Ann Fabric and I notice all my cottons have a starch like feel before washing. I know fabric have some things put on them during the printing process to make them look stiff and I am thinking that is what is causing the water to repel. I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to wash it all out?

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    hmmm, perhaps nothing will soak in, even stains. that would be a good thing. you might call where you bought the fabric and ask them.
    I was thinking the same thing. Having the fabric water repellent could be a plus on baby bibs.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    Some fabrics are treated to be water repellent.

Banned
    Try a cup of white vinegar in the wash. It should help.

The vinegar did it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Having the fabric water repellent could be a plus on baby bibs.
    When my kids were little I used plastic bibs that had a narrow pocket along the bottom to catch spills and drips. The same thing could be done with these bibs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judes74 View Post
    The vinegar did it. Thanks!
    Very welcome.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I bring outside fabric into my home, it goes directly into my washer with white vinegar and laundry detergent. The white vinegar washes away any kind of build up and some odors. Another tip with the white vinegar; wash your lint trap with white vinegar and Dawn dish soap. It gets rid of build up on your trap from the different laundry softeners whether liquid or sheets. I do this every week. If water won't run through your lint trap freely but builds like a puddle, it needs this done. You will notice less drying time needed.

I have some dish towels (China) that will not absorb water. I don't like them at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I have some dish towels (China) that will not absorb water. I don't like them at all.
    I would bet the farm they are microfiber. That crap sucks. Buy all-cotton towels.

Another winning suggestion from a QB member. What would we do without them?????

The vinegar is a fabric softener. I have used it with towels & it make a difference on how they absorb water also. Other softeners just create a coating.

Welcome to this awesome board!

Too much fabric softener makes the fabric not absorb water. I add less than a tablespoon of fabric softener into a cup and add enough water to fill the dispenser in the washing machine. I stir it together and pour the mixture into the dispensing place in the washing machine. It gets rid of the static eletricity without reducing the absorbancy of fabrics.
    Penny

I'm in the use vinegar camp. DD had skin rashes and the call nurse said to add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water to get rid of any residual soap and soften the clothes. It worked so I have been doing it ever since.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.