Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cotton with flannel

Cotton with flannel

Would it work to back a flannel top with woven cotton back. I prefer flannel for the back but the print I am looking at that matches than flannels perfectly is only woven. I can picture it the other way around, but am not sure if flannel top and woven backing will work. I found a collection I love at Connecting threads and they have the wide backing to go with, but their coordinates sell out rather quickly so I want to get it now.
    groovey

Power Poster
    In my opinion - if you shrink your fabrics - top and bottom - and everything is washable - it should work.

The user will put whichever side up anyway - - -

I think it will work just fine.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    i don't see why you wouldn't think it would work- I mix regular cottons & flannels all the time- tops, backs, mixed blocks, mixed cotton blocks with flannel borders, flannel blocks with cotton borders---flannel is cotton too- just softer. I do pre-wash my flannels when I am going to mix fabrics- but beyond that I don't worry about it. I even mix the 2 in raggy quilts - some blocks flannel, some regular cotton...no problem
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with bearisgray. If you preshrink everything it should be fine. I almost always use flannel for backing on baby quilts even when the tops are regular cotton.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

I also agree. I do it all the time, and love the extra warmth and the feeling of the flannel. Have fun!