Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cotton lawn?

I don't think I would quilt with it but I am tempted to make the free kimono pattern. It looks like it would be so cool and comfy for summer morning tea on the porch :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDav View Post
    I don't think I would quilt with it but I am tempted to make the free kimono pattern. It looks like it would be so cool and comfy for summer morning tea on the porch :-)
    Where might we find this free kimono pattern?
    Please? and Thanks!!

I've been wanting to make one ... and thought I'd make my own pattern from an old one that I have. This would simplify it considerably!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Besides being used for clothing lawn fabric made lovely curtains.

I think it's too thin and fine to quilt with. I 've made semi-sheer curtains from it and a mini-dress in the 1970's :-D

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...__L601021.html

Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post

Thank you!

I also use Lawn for the things Wildflower discusses. I was also surprised when I saw it in the CT catalogue. However, when you think of the beautiful heirloom dresses made from Lawn,that are still around after over a hundred years.... I am thinking it would hold up just fine for a quilt. However, I do agree I would be concerned about the batting showing thru.
    I actually have a quilt that I started from Lawn fabric but never really got 'off the ground' with it. Each square was a different heirloom technique, I was going to 'line' it if you will with a pale pink or blue behind each square just so the batting would not show.
    JMHO it just might be an interesting new twist for quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390 View Post
    I used to use cotton lawn for heirloom sewing. It is used for shadow embroidery, lacework, pintucks, and French sewing techinques. Fine cotton lawn lends itself to this type of sewing and sews beautiful. It makes beautiful blouses and heirloom baby dresses. Martha Pullen is a well known teacher with many books and patterns to her credit on the technique of heriloom sewing. She has a quilt pattern using these tehniques and it would be more of a christening quilt than a using quilt, in my opinion.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

Blog Entries
    The reading comprehension I get from their ad is that the New Cotton Lawn is new to CT in design name, print and color but not in type of fabric. The best quality lawn fabric is Liberty of London. I ordered the sampler bundle of CT lawn to compare to Liberty of London. Liberty of London use to be the fabric of choice for the best of the best quilt fabric to use.
    Got fabric?

When I saw it listed last week I thought that lawn was much too thin for a quilt. I am relieved that I like the colors but find the prints totally unappealing. That will save me from buying it and regretting it!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Please? and Thanks!!

I've been wanting to make one ... and thought I'd make my own pattern from an old one that I have. This would simplify it considerably!!!
    The pattern is on the Connecting Threads website under the link for "free patterns" I'll try to post the link hope it works... let me know what you think, I'm an adventurous beginner when it comes to sewing garments

http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/pat...tterns--601021

I've had a good look at the pattern and it looks like a fun (and easy) pattern to make ... though I'm not sure I would make it with the lining. I don't like how it would shift around. Instead I'll probably make it with a flannelette or heavier cotton than lawn.

Has anyone made it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    When I saw it listed last week I thought that lawn was much too thin for a quilt. I am relieved that I like the colors but find the prints totally unappealing. That will save me from buying it and regretting it!
    Print lawn? Don't they have solids? Solids is what would be good for all of the heirloom techniques. I like the idea mentioned above from someone who would use a lightweight fabric behind the decorative blocks to hide the batting. Contrasting color! This is sounding better and better - who needs prints?

I can't wait to make an heirloom baby quilt - all I have to do is learn all the heirloom sewing techniques! LOL
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The reading comprehension I get from their ad is that the New Cotton Lawn is new to CT in design name, print and color but not in type of fabric. The best quality lawn fabric is Liberty of London. I ordered the sampler bundle of CT lawn to compare to Liberty of London. Liberty of London use to be the fabric of choice for the best of the best quilt fabric to use.
    Where would you buy LofL quilting fabric? I have not seen other than garment fabric.
    Thanks
    Sue
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I brought several pieces Liberty of London lawn back when I was in GB during college. I saved the scraps left from the blouses I made for a quilt. After I married in 1978, my Dad commissioned two ladies to make quilts for my sister and I. I chose Double Wedding Ring and furnished the fabrics. It had the two Liberty of London prints scattered throughout the quilt. I washed that quilt at least twice a month for at least 20 years before they began to wear through. I made a quilt about 8 years ago using FQ from a LQS. I have also washed it several times a month. One red print is beginning to wear through to the batting.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    I love the prints, but I won't be buying it for a quilt. The explanation says to use white poly batting to keep the batting from showing through. Also to use a smaller needle. IMO, it won't be strong enough for the kind of quilts I want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2