Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cotton Prices

I just read this on one of the news sites. I don't think that this bodes well for all of us quilters. I just hope that the jump won't put us on par with what people in the UK and Europe have to pay. If so, my stash is going to be used up very quickly. What do all of you think about this? I think I won't rush out and buy bolts and bolts, but I will look for some fabrics that I have been wanting and needing to complete some projects. I was going to wait until after Christmas, but I'm starting to rethink that idea.

"The sudden surge in prices—cotton has risen as much as 56% in three months—has alarmed manufacturers and retailers, who worry they may be forced to pass on higher costs to recession-weary consumers.

The December cotton contract hit $1.1980 a pound minutes after the opening of trading on the Intercontinental Exchange on Friday. It is officially the highest price since records began back in 1870 with the creation of the New York Cotton Exchange."

Blog Entries
    I think I'll stock up on basic clothing items now like socks, underwear, tee shirts, jeans, etc. These will increase in price and they are usually a have to have before fabric. I'm buying as much fabric as I can when I find a clearance sale. With so many online shops going out of business it's the time to stock up.

Blog Entries
    I guess my neighbors are going to be richer. There are thousands of pounds baled up in my neighborhood and they are still picken'.

Well, I cant really run out and stock up, but I think gettinga bit now is good. I will buy my kids socks for Christmas!

Yes, everyone on my list is going to get some of the dreaded essentials along with goodies this year.

e4
    Yes, cotton prices have gone up - and then went down again - at least a little bit. But the trend is up (30 cents per pound over the past year (2009-2010). Since a yard of quilting cotton usually weighs about 4-6 oz and to allow for some waste as the cotton is processed, the price increase means a 10-15 cents per yard increase. The roof is not falling in, but increasing like everything else.

Blog Entries
    I will be stocking up, especially on the Black Friday sales for cotton items... AND ofcourse fabric too :D:D:D

I am in Canada and I use to pay from $15. to $25. for quilt shop quality cotton fabric. Now it starts at $17. and goes up from that. Needless to say I enjoy trips back east to access shopping in Maine. I buy a lot on line
    from sites in the US and have seen a rise in prices over the past 6 months. What use to sell for $3 or $4 is now up to $5 or $6. Will be using the fabrics on hand, and checking out links for great sales on this site.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by e4
    Yes, cotton prices have gone up - and then went down again - at least a little bit. But the trend is up (30 cents per pound over the past year (2009-2010). Since a yard of quilting cotton usually weighs about 4-6 oz and to allow for some waste as the cotton is processed, the price increase means a 10-15 cents per yard increase. The roof is not falling in, but increasing like everything else.
    What a smart and sensible calculation to make!

And it's right in line with what we're seeing, 10-15 cents per yard increases in the wholesale price of the newest fabric lines.

QKO
    Nan, I don't know where you're buying your fabric, but ours have gone up a lot more than 10 to 15 cents a yard. We've already seen 25 cents a yard so far this year, and suppliers are telling us it'll be at least that much more in the next 6 months or so. :-( :-( :-(

Not good...

e4
    If prices go up 25-50 cents a year, then it is not the price of cotton alone. It may be cost of manufacturing or they may be using "price of cotton" as an excuse to raise prices whatever they want.

I'm embarrassed to say I have so much fabric I don't think I can use it all in my lifetime. Trouble is I know I'll buy more.

Quote Originally Posted by krabadan
    I'm embarrassed to say I have so much fabric I don't think I can use it all in my lifetime. Trouble is I know I'll buy more.
    Don't feel bad, I also have a ton of fabric, lol. I started my stash long before I started doing any actual quilting. I have also been taking advantage of recent sales, just in case ;-)

QKO
    Quote Originally Posted by e4
    If prices go up 25-50 cents a year, then it is not the price of cotton alone. It may be cost of manufacturing or they may be using "price of cotton" as an excuse to raise prices whatever they want.
    You're right, it's not just the cost of cotton. There are a couple of other major factors. One is the price of fuel. The other is the fact that the Chinese, who manufacture almost all of the greige goods (the base, unbleached, unprinted fabric stocks) have been artificially holding down the prices on those for years while they cornered the market and forced everyone else out. Now that they indeed have the market pretty much to themselves, they are raising the prices on these goods dramatically and continuously. Apparently, the people who work in their mills are no longer willing to work at slave labor rates. :mrgreen:

Aside from all the practical reasons prices are on the rise, it's still sticker shock. I was online checking out a new site earlier and one of the lines was priced at $15 a yard. A floral print, nothing special.

I know overseas and our neighbors to the North pay far more than we do but I'm still spoiled by $7/yd and under prices at my LQS when I was at the height of my buying bliss.

Now I just get charms mostly and keep to small cuts on the occasions that I have money to spare for fabs. Thankfully I've got a nice bit to choose from that I'm not sweating the "crisis" as such for now. But I sure miss the carefree spending on what caught my eye.

I visited a fabric shop in western NC on Fri. pad 4.99 for batiks, other fabric was 3.99, 4.99 and 5.99 for flat fold per yard. Bolt fabric was 4.99 to 7.99 per yard. Some of the fabric was same as I saw in LOS for 9.50 per yard.
    What is wrong with shops? Why to they not have better prices. I realize they need profit, but give us a break sometimes.
    Can't remember name of shop.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QKO
    Nan, I don't know where you're buying your fabric, but ours have gone up a lot more than 10 to 15 cents a yard. We've already seen 25 cents a yard so far this year, and suppliers are telling us it'll be at least that much more in the next 6 months or so. :-( :-( :-(

Not good...
    I meant, that the makers are (mostly) raising the new collections 10 - 15 cents above the cost of the groups that they released three months ago. And those, of course, were 10 - 15 cents more than the ones three months before that.

I would say we've seen increases across the board of about 50 cents / yard this year, and we haven't reached the end of the year yet.

Now, when hubby says "You have too much inventory!" I just tell him it is all an investment, and where else can I earn a 10% return on my money this year?

.... Apparently, the people who work in their mills are no longer willing to work at slave labor rates. :mrgreen:[/quote]

I read recently the Chinese go into a provence and build a mill, work the people for slave labor rates. When it becomes a problem and the employees want more money. they just close that mill and build another in another provence and the process starts again. I'm sure after THAT word gets around, people stop complaining about anything and just work.

Check out Connecting Threads; the clearence or sale section. There is some cotton there for 2.99 yd. I got an email yesterday on this.

Blog Entries
    Makes me wonder if base cotton prices are rising so drastically, will the
    buyer of our finished quilts be willing to pay accordingly if we raise prices?
    From past experience, seems doubtful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krabadan
    I second that comment. :thumbup:

I guess I will make more small art quilt!

The Gsons will need clothing more than another quilt, so it will be clothing that I will be stocking up on. New baby is coming tomorrow, so I will buy for him..already have enough sweats to get the boys though High School.....will add as needed on other clothing items. Socks are a great idean and plan to do PJ's for Christmas along with boxer shorts and gleece items.

Blog Entries
    Did you know another way the price of fabric is going up is that the 45" fabric is shrinking to 40"? The owner of my LQS said there is one line of fabric she can't stock any more due to the rising prices. I have enough fabric to last my life time, but that doesn't mean I don't/won't want any more. :lol:

All the more reason to look at ways to "recycle" 100% cotton from other areas such as shirts, skirts, sheets, etc!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast