Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton VS polyester batting >

Cotton VS polyester batting

Cotton VS polyester batting

Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Like with any product on the market today there are very good quality and not so good quality polyester bats. Quilters dream is a wonderful poly batting that comes in a variety of lofts that you can quilt up to 10" apart just like W&N.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM

I always used cotton but tried some Hobbs Polydown. I really like it. I did a baby quilt for a friend to give as a gift and she LOVES it. Just a little bit puffy and not hard to quilt on my HQ16.

I am glad I like it because I bought a whole roll of it. I will be using it for all my charity quilts.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by quilting is fun
I have used polyster batting for years and love it. It is light weight, warm, and puffy. I've never had any problem with bunching. But, not having a long arm machine, I tie my quilts usually at 5" intervals. So farther intervals might be a problem, Just don't know.
I made my 10 year old grandson a bunch of play quilts all with poly batting and all tacked at least every 5". They've been washed, dried, dragged around, on the floor, on the ground, -----------------never one bunch!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Thank you all for your comments... they have all been most helpful. I am thinking of taking another look at the poly batting for this quilt. :)
Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 AM

The batting that I've seen 'bunch up' is whatever they use in store bought comforters. However those are also channel quilted with leaves lots of room for movement. Channel quilting works great for feather beds, but is not so good for use with batting!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Hobbs 80/20 batting gives a fairly puffy result but is still 80% cotton. That's probably what I would use.

One reason I like cotton batting is because it gets softer with every washing.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Hobbs Polydown is a wonderful batting as it handles, quilts and washes well. Some great quilters use it all the time. Just look up some of Charismah's quilts on this board. They are spectacular. It is my batting of choice for baby,kid or college quilts. We also use it for all of our Community Quilts.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Hobbs Polydown is a wonderful batting as it handles, quilts and washes well. Some great quilters use it all the time. Just look up some of Charismah's quilts on this board. They are spectacular. It is my batting of choice for baby,kid or college quilts. We also use it for all of our Community Quilts.
Where do you purchase the Hobbs Polydown? I don't think I have ever heard of it.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Wool might be a good choice. But first I would ask your friend to show you an example of what he means by puffy. He may be thinking more of a comforter than of a quilt. Then show him one of your quilts quilted with W&W or W&N. He may decide he likes that look just fine. Sometimes people have one thing in mind, until they see something else...
Good point! I confused the two until I started quilting!! Anything puffy cottony with stitching over the top was a "quilt" for me LOL :oops:
Old 07-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Hobbs polydown is made in Waco Texas and my LQS brings in a truckload of batting every January and has a big sale so I usually buy a 30 yard roll (108" wide). I'd ask your local LQS if they can get it for you as I'm sure you'd love this batting. My price in Canada worked out to just less than $6.00 a yard.