Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couching >

Couching

Couching

Old 06-17-2015, 03:59 PM

Default Couching

I have just completed a quilt and when looking at it, I have decided that an inner border needs a bit of punch. I would like to try couching, but I don't know what type of fiber is usually used for couching. Also, if anyone knows of a great tutorial on couching, I would love to see it. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM

Here's a video on this embroidery technique....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFyD7_0nM4
Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

You can couch any type of fiber: wool, cotton, rayon, synthetic. Single or multiple strands. Whatever suits your fancy. If you just want color, perle cotton is a good choice. I you are using a machine, you can use a simple zigzag stitch or any decorative stitch that will secure the fiber. the thread can match or be an additional accent. A couching foot is a huge help, but not necessary. The problem is when adding it to a quilt, you need to be aware of its washability. Your best bet is to wash the embellishment first. I would practice on a sample to figure out what stitch you are going to use and if you need a single or multiple strand of fiber. If you are applying it to an unquilted top, you will need to use stabilizer.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Wish you had posted a photo.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:17 AM

I find there is not enough separation between the inner yellow border and the main pattern so I want to add a very narrow strip of dark green between the two to provide that separation. The quilt is a table-topper and measures about 45" square.[ATTACH=CONFIG]522707[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0044-2-.jpg  
Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Another option to consider is bobbin work. With bobbin work you can use some of the fancy heavier threads like Razzle Dazzle by Superior or Candlelight by YLI. both brands have some beautiful sparkly greens. You can use a monofilament in the top or any thread that compliments your backing. But you will be working with the quilt back side up so you need to have some sort of line to follow or guide you to know where you want the embellishment thread. I can' tell from your photo if you ditched between the inner yellow border and the body of the quilt, but if you did you can follow that line of stitching from the back. Fun quilt.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-18-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 AM

Go look up a tutorial on narrow bias strips as used in a Celtic design. Ours were 3/8" and if you had a good machine, you could zigzag them on. I've couched a lot of embroidery and using a couching foot an triple couching shows up really well.

There are also the 1/4" iron on strips of trim that you can make or buy and couch those.
http://www.equilter.com/product/578/...ias-tape-black

There is a way to add double adhesive to your own fabric to make this.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 AM

I don't know much about couching, but love the picture of the sailboat.
Would love to do some needlework with a sailboat as pattern--Know any resources?