Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couching >

Couching

Couching

Old 04-11-2020, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Do you couch? I don't mean on the living room couch, LOL.

I'm ready to invest some time in learning how to do couching for some applique projects. Do you have any special tips, sources for specialty threads, etc?

I can attach a couching foot to the WF on my sewing machine or use the embroidery machine which also has a couching feature.
I have done a lot of couching and usually use a foot as it's so much easier than trying to run it through a zz foot. I have also found if you tape a large straw in front of the sewing machine foot , run whatever you are couching inside it, a lot easier than trying to keep the thread/yarn straight. If your serger has a cover stitch, you can use it to couch.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:37 AM

Peckish, That sounds like a fun and interesting technique on the borders.

LAF, Thanks, that is what I'm trying to accomplish. I had to rip ot the first attempt with plain zig zag around the applique. It was awful so I thought couching would cover the raw edges.

SewGirl, Thanks for the straw tip! I will try it too.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:09 AM

honestly, I use my longarm to do the couching, so I was just assuming you could do the same thing on your domestic.... I hope I'm right! Maybe the straw trick will help!
The first two pictures are from a quilt I am putting together with various aliens/monsters. I used scraps of yarn to outline around all of the faces. The third is from a baby quilt that had his name appliqued on top. I couched around it a couple times with some furry thread for a fun effect.

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Peckish, That sounds like a fun and interesting technique on the borders.

LAF, Thanks, that is what I'm trying to accomplish. I had to rip ot the first attempt with plain zig zag around the applique. It was awful so I thought couching would cover the raw edges.

SewGirl, Thanks for the straw tip! I will try it too.
Attached Thumbnails alien1.jpg   alien2.jpg   marshall.jpg  
Old 04-11-2020, 06:32 AM

I have never tried this though admit to a fascination about it. MamaLinda I hope you jump right in and try it no harm no foul when trying something new. Me I would do a couple practice runs first before applying it to a quilt.
Iceblossom you Quilt is pretty I love the use of the cording. This is something that will now go from the back of my mind to the front. I have all the materials I just have to go for it and try. Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:11 AM

I've done a fair amount of couching on my wearable art. I do what Rob mentions with the couching foot on my Bernina. I did it without a couching foot on my old New Home with fairly good results. It was just harder to do. I've done it by hand also. Its harder to do than by machine and I didn't particularly like the result, but it was okay. I suggest taking some scrap fabric and old yarn and practicing until you get the hang of it.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
honestly, I use my longarm to do the couching, so I was just assuming you could do the same thing on your domestic.... I hope I'm right! Maybe the straw trick will help!
The first two pictures are from a quilt I am putting together with various aliens/monsters. I used scraps of yarn to outline around all of the faces. The third is from a baby quilt that had his name appliqued on top. I couched around it a couple times with some furry thread for a fun effect.
I love the fuzzycouching
Old 04-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Gay

My method can't be used in all cases, but I couch using crochet and thicker threads in the bobbin, with little or no tension, and a tighter tension on the top thread, and work with fabric upside down. To use on a sandwiched quilt, you would need to know exactly where to stitch. Also the bobbin runs out quickly. I often wonder if there is a way to run the bottom thread in below without having to wind bobbins.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:27 AM

Julia, Doesn't it sound fun to try something new? Let's play!

Cashs Mom, Yes, it will a trial sample first before working on the actual project..

LAF, Great examples on your projects. That is the look I want to achieve and yes domestic machine.. I ordered a 5 cord and 7 cord foot for my machine and will sample all the techniques first. Thanks for the inspiration!

Gay, My machine has a feature called bobbin work as you described. I haven't tried it yet.