Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Country Quilts >

Country Quilts

Country Quilts

Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM

quilt bugs i think your quilt looks country..is really pretty... :-D
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM

For some reason when I hear 'country quilt' I think of log cabin quilts. Maybe it is the name.

But lots can be done with a log cabin quilt in the colors your dd wants.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Go to Connecting Threads and see the new line of fabric and the quilts they have made from all of it. If that doesn't get your juices flowing nothing will.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM

I made three quilts for the weddings of my two boys and the wedding of their best friend. My boys I did turning twenty and used for one a lot of Aisian themes (he was married in Thailand to a very nice girl of Chinese and Thailand heritge.
My other son and his wife likes to fish and the outdoors so I bought many pieces with thoses themes. It was very country as it was almost patchwork.
The third I did the garden wall using 7 1/2 by 4 inch blocks with a 4 by 4 inch block in every row.(looked like a brick wall) and again used a lot of the personalities of the two and had John Deere tractor, coffee, hiking, canoeing etc. They all had their personalities and all a little patch work which to me says country.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 PM

This is a beautiful quilt. I was also thinking of Jo- Morton and her fabrics. She has some beautiful and simplier designs
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 PM

I agree thimbleberries has wonderful dark color fabrics and patterns.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
I think of D9P or any quilt done with squares or strips. I wonder what a double wedding ring (traditional wedding quilt) done with a darker background and lighter ring pieces might look like.
I was thinking double wedding ring as I was reading, my suggestion for the background would be an antique off white such as, tan, biege, ecru...
and for the pieced the nice warm rich reds, rust, blues, hunter greens, golden yellows.

even a log cabin one side done with the off whites and the other the rch colors would be beautiful... <3 Keep us posted <3
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM
QM
Power Poster

Before you do anything else, make sure you are on the same page she is. There are hundreds of choices at various skill levels, such as schoolhouse or friendship star. You might go to www.quilterscache.com for ideas.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tawnya's Mom
My daughter is getting married this summer. She has asked me to make a "country " quilt as a wedding gift. She wants darker colors - rusts, browns, blues, greens, etc. I need help with a pattern. What do you consider a "country" quilt?
Buggy Barn has some cool patterns that are easy and fun to make. They also have their own fabric line that is very earth tones and darker colours, much like Kansas Troubles. With the Buggy Barn Patterns, you layer 5 fatquarters, cut out the pieces, shuffle the layers and sew. It is fast, and very unique as each block is totally different.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 AM

If it's in your comfort range, McCalls has one called Grma's Quilt....or some such.

Originally Posted by Tawnya's Mom
My daughter is getting married this summer. She has asked me to make a "country " quilt as a wedding gift. She wants darker colors - rusts, browns, blues, greens, etc. I need help with a pattern. What do you consider a "country" quilt?