Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • covered in lines >
  • covered in lines

• covered in lines

Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 AM

I recently purchased an appliqued quilt which is beautiful and brought it home. It still had the quilting lines on it. I washed it in cold water and the lines remained. I washed it in quilt soap which I purchased at a LQS and the lines remained. Why won't the lines come out? Is there anything else I can do to get them out short of soaking in bleach. I don't want to ruin the rest of the quilt but I can't use it with these lines running all over the place. I thought these lines were supposed to just wash out. What happened?
    Your help is appreciated.
    doglover
    Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 AM

Can you determine what the lines are made from? Is it pencil, or a marker? If it is pencil the LQS sell erasers. If it is pen you can try hairspray. Otherwise, I would take it to your LQS and have them give you some suggestions. Sorry this happened to you.
    Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 AM

They are the original stamped design that came on the quilt top along with the other flower design.
    doglover
    Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 AM
    Power Poster

the maker may have pressed the blocks...heat setting the lines without meaning to, which is maybe why she sold it?? could we see pictures of what it is you are trying to deal with? maybe we could offer some more help if we saw it.
    was it a design the maker drew on the quilt top or was it pre-printed? if it was pre-printed and pressed (heat-set) they are probably there to stay. if they were drawn on with a pencil you could possible pre-treat with a stain remover...like shout applied directly to the lines...it really depends on what the marks are made with.
    Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM

When I get back from the doctor, I will take a picture and send it.
    thanks and I do hope it is not set for life.
    doglover
    Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 AM

I'd contact the person/place you purchased the quilt from. It sounds like they set the lines, and if so, they won't ever come out. Sorry....perhaps a refund is in order, if possible. So sad.

I've read about this same issue a million times on the longarming site, and folks have tried just about everything in the book - all to no avail. If the lines are set, they are really set and never completely come out. I'm sorry this happened to you. :(
    Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 AM

Have you tried soaking the quilt in OxyClean? I've used OxyClean on some of my quilts.
    Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 AM

If this is a very old quilt with blue lines on it, they won't come out. I have one from a grandma that is unfinished, and the blue shapes are there for the placement of each applique and for the grid of quilting. Years ago even Mary Maxim did this expecting you to embroider over the lines.
    Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 AM

well she said it's stamped designs, sound like hand embroidery stamps maybe, and they DO NOT come out.
    Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM
    Banned

The reality is: If it is an older top (pre 1990's) they won't come out. The process prior to that time was stamped and heat pressed. The ink had a wax in it so it is almost set forever. In time with repeated washings they will lighten up. After the 90's a water base ink was used. HOWEVER, to my knowledge none of the overall printed designs were or have been printed in the wash out ink. It sounds like it was a made from a kit contained the printed background with fabrics to do the applique. Also another way to judge the age is if the lines were small dotted lines. I do hate to give you this information. I suggest you contact the place where you purchased it and if they continue to sell them then to warn abour the lines. You don't say you got it at a quilt shop or other place.