Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Show Question >

Craft Show Question

Craft Show Question

Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Default bowl buddy for microwave

an easy item to make that you won't see everywhere is the bowl buddy for the microwave. this is similar in construction to the fabric boxes but needs a batting like pellon wrap-n-zap which comes 45 " wide and 1 yard lengths. the cheapest i have found is at walmart.com with free shipping if you pick up at a walmart. $3 versus $8 at other suppliers.

i make a variety of sizes from 10 inch squares with 9 in batting to 14 inch squares with 13 inch batting and alter the size of the tuck to create different shapes. having a real bowl in each size lets the customer remember the size of the bowls they use at home and they can pick the right one. i do 14, 12 and 10 inch.
the small boxes are actually the same except that the tuck is much wider to make the side vertical.

you do need to use 100% cotton material and thread so nothing melts in the microwave.

directions are available online at
http://www.seamshappy.com/2012/08/13...wl-pot-holder/
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM

I would vote for place mats, pot holders, mitts and trivets. It is coming on gifting season
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eb in calif View Post
an easy item to make that you won't see everywhere is the bowl buddy for the microwave. this is similar in construction to the fabric boxes but needs a batting like pellon wrap-n-zap which comes 45 " wide and 1 yard lengths. the cheapest i have found is at walmart.com with free shipping if you pick up at a walmart. $3 versus $8 at other suppliers.

i make a variety of sizes from 10 inch squares with 9 in batting to 14 inch squares with 13 inch batting and alter the size of the tuck to create different shapes. having a real bowl in each size lets the customer remember the size of the bowls they use at home and they can pick the right one. i do 14, 12 and 10 inch.
the small boxes are actually the same except that the tuck is much wider to make the side vertical.

you do need to use 100% cotton material and thread so nothing melts in the microwave.

directions are available online at
http://www.seamshappy.com/2012/08/13...wl-pot-holder/
There is an excellent tutorial for these right here on the board: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t144848.html
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Whem working our church bazaar, I always use a clothes rack. Buy a couple of yards of a neutral fabric (cheap felt) and then you can attach any number of things to it, and the merchandise is high enough that it can bee seen across the hall.As far as craft tiems...how about paperbook covers.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
There is an excellent tutorial for these right here on the board: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t144848.html
I bought a child's microwave at Sears to do a demo with and use the Warm Tater batting made for microwaves. Usually have a quilt hanging on a stand behind me which is for sale. Made hostess gifts and small emery owl pincushion. Postcards and cards made with fabric and applique sells!
Attached Thumbnails nqm-006.jpg   nqm-002.jpg  

Last edited by applique; 10-10-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Hot Pads sell like crazy at the shows we do. We don't make fancy pieced ones instead we use interesting fabrics with themes folks have in their kitchen decor ie. chickens, apples. The fabric on each side coordinates but isn't the same. For example eggs on one side and chickens on the other. We put loops on them so they can hang up and insulbright batting so they can be used under hot dishes to protect counters and tables. Insulbright holds its shape well even with repeated washing
Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 PM

I've not seen them at craft fairs but when I make coffee cozies and give them to friends they're really appreciated and used. Not difficult to make and each can be made differently without any trouble.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 AM

Curling iron/hair straighteners covers, use insulated wadding ( can't remember the name) the stuff used in pot holders oven gloves, quilt with nice fabric, sells wells as little extras for xmas.