Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy or crazed >

Crazy or crazed

Crazy or crazed

Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ginnh1588
I am fairly new to quilting. Let me be honest. I've started three but only finished two for grandkiddos for Christmas last Valentine's Day. They were real tacky but the kids loved them.

I woke up this morning resolved to correct the 36" square Trip Around the World that I really messed up on--the pattern part. After about 30 minutes, I realized fixing it was folly. I am beginning to hate it a lot. So, here you are, my fellow but far superior quilters who always seem to have a supportive word or an idea for even the worst of us. Here is what I thought I would do and I am hoping you have other suggestions--but ones that are not too complicated.

I thought I would put all 30 strips of 8, 2" blocks already sewn together into a big sack, shake the hell out of it and just sew together whatever strip comes out next until I get my 36" inch "quilt". Anything more creative or less destructive that you can think of would be appreciated. I am going to start promptly one hour from now and will check this board before I start. I thank you in advance. I promise to make this my first submission to the picture part of this list-serve.

Now, I am going outside to cut weeds with the hedge trimmer to wear off a little aggression. Thanks, folks.
I think that would work, but if you really hate that thing, put it in a give-way-box somewhere and start over. I started a log cabin several years ago that I had planned and bought fabric for over the period of a year. Everything that could go wrong, did. It was a relief to give it away to someone who did something really neat with it. And some of my favorite quilts were started by someone who just couldn't make the pattern work, but I could. froggyintexas
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM

been there - done that. You are your worst critic for sure. Just enjoy what you are doing - and just do it. the more quilts you make the better you get. I started with tee-shirt quilts for my kids and am still getting my piecing down so that I don't see the errors. After several years - I still only try to get a right angle on things!! pitch perfect out and go with - 'yes, I did that !!'
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by trolleystation
Get rid of it..each time you see it you will be reminded how upset you were.
If you truly reach this point, PM me, I'll take it and make something out of it for you!!! Hugs and smilesssss
Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ginnh1588
I am fairly new to quilting. Let me be honest. I've started three but only finished two for grandkiddos for Christmas last Valentine's Day. They were real tacky but the kids loved them.

I woke up this morning resolved to correct the 36" square Trip Around the World that I really messed up on--the pattern part. After about 30 minutes, I realized fixing it was folly. I am beginning to hate it a lot. So, here you are, my fellow but far superior quilters who always seem to have a supportive word or an idea for even the worst of us. Here is what I thought I would do and I am hoping you have other suggestions--but ones that are not too complicated.

I thought I would put all 30 strips of 8, 2" blocks already sewn together into a big sack, shake the hell out of it and just sew together whatever strip comes out next until I get my 36" inch "quilt". Anything more creative or less destructive that you can think of would be appreciated. I am going to start promptly one hour from now and will check this board before I start. I thank you in advance. I promise to make this my first submission to the picture part of this list-serve.

Now, I am going outside to cut weeds with the hedge trimmer to wear off a little aggression. Thanks, folks.
I'm with shakin' the hell out of the bag and goin' from there. It's fabric, it's squares.....take a deep breath.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Just a thought... Most of the posts I see on the board by quilters that say something about the mistakes they made in the quilt pictured are followed by comments from fellow quilters who either can't find the mistake, or say that they thought that the "mistake" was an intentional design intention. Even the ones who see the mistake usually say that most people wouldn't know it was there if it hadn't been pointed out. If it's frustrating you too much, put it away for a while (sometimes years LOL) or toss it, or donate it.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM

I like your idea. I don't know the origin of the twisted bargello pattern, but it could've likely come from a quilter who salvaged her quilt her way.
Who knows maybe you will make that next hot pattern. Go for it! :lol:
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Instead of "trip around the world" you could name it "the state the world is in today".
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
Instead of "trip around the world" you could name it "the state the world is in today".
LOL!! I think I would be afraid to sleep under that one! No telling what one might wake up laying in. heehee
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Some times I just don't want the stress of matching seams so you can off set the next row by half a block so no seams have to match. send up a cry of HELP if you need us. Someone will give you just the right information you need:)
Yours is a very useful idea - will have to try and remember it for future use. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 PM

A while back (over a year ago) I started a snowball pattern in Christmas materials. Before I was half finished, I decided I didn't like it because it was too loud and busy, so into the UFO basket it went. two weeks ago, I decided to finish it and donate if nothing else. I finished it and my babysitter absolutely loved it. it was her going away present. I have never thrown anything away, but I reserve the right to do so and believe everyone should have that right as well.