Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy Question -- What to buy to build a good fabric collection.... >

Crazy Question -- What to buy to build a good fabric collection....

Crazy Question -- What to buy to build a good fabric collection....

Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
My advice is "Don't worry about building a stash." You are better off buying extra for each project you do. I have a stash and I rarely have enough fabric in the stash for the pattern I want to do. If I bought 3 pieces of a collection - the pattern invariably needs 4-6. If you are lucky enough to find a great deal then buy but at today's prices I really think you are better off just getting a bit more than you need per project.
This is my philosophy as well. I just buy extra for any given project. I'm not a 'scrappy' person. I like very organized quilts. With over-buying, I have enough for a smallish project (usually) on the spot or to try different techniques. My tastes change over time and I would hate to have a bunch of fabs that I've spent lots of $$ and now don't like any more. Plus I just don't have room to store a bunch of fabric.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Wow. My stash just plain 'ol multiplied in the dark. Of course friends helped it grow when I first started.

I'd buy blenders, fabrics that read solid, and lots of batiks. I would make an effort to supplement my stash in terms of darks, mediums, and lights. From what I have learned too many of us get too many mediums or fabrics that can be read as medium and therefore need to buy more fabric when using from our stash.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM

I too would advise buying blenders and backgrounds. These were the fabrics that I didn't realize were necessary to any quilter's collection. I'd look for the "mottley" or tiny prints that read as solids and some basic solids like black, gray, red, blue. Make sure you have some lights as I first bought all dark intense colours. Buy your focus prints as you need them and don't stockpile too many as your fabric tastes may change before you get through your original choices. Look for sales and stock up on the blenders because they don't go out of style.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM

I buy fabric for quilts but always buy 3 meters.
and when fabricland as a sale buy one get two free I go spend my allowance.
now I am at the point that I use what I have and only need something to finish a project.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I just buy what I like and add it to the collection.
This is how I do it!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM

Remember that you can also get some great deals right here on the QB. Watch the sales threads on here. That's where I have bought a lot of mine. Then I can buy a piece or 2 to add to it for a quilt. It has saved me a ton of $.