Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy quilt top stretched (a lot), please help! >

Crazy quilt top stretched (a lot), please help!

Crazy quilt top stretched (a lot), please help!

Old 10-07-2018, 09:26 AM

I think it is going to be a spectacular quilt. I bet with a few tucks here and there only you will know it. Beautiful quilt.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Such a lovely gift and project!

I think you are on the right track with the solution already given, but instead of horizontal tucks, maybe consider some tucks along the existing stitching lines, like in the picture the large greyish piece above the roses and next to the giraffes in the bottom right corner looks to have a little fullness in it. Bring it in line with the other fabrics at the seam line and no one will know. That might help some (or it might make the other issues worse even). The old obsessive me used to rip out and correct and restitch, the not so obsessive me with vision issues does the tuck type method. Years ago I had problems with one particular quilt back, lots of what I call "pookies" the flaps that sometimes happen, first go around I unquilted about half the quilt and did it again. Still had pookies. Ended up just flipping them down and blindstitching the loose ends and you never noticed it. A good reason for using print backs as opposed to solids, you don't see the pookies!

In my quilting adventures I've learned that recovery from mistakes is important. I've never had to deliberately include a mistake to keep me from too much pride, always have had enough of my own. I think that is a lesson in marriage/life as well. We all face some adversity and overcoming it makes us better.

My project I've got going this weekend is not going as well as I'd like, I'm quilting down a large crib/small twin top. Although I adjusted the tension etc. I haven't quilted anything down on my old machine in years and I probably should have done a test piece before working on a top, I am definitely out of practice. But I tell myself that the recipient won't realize the workmanship is subpar. LOL at least I tell myself that!
Old 10-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Feline fanatic has had so much experience making quilts and quilting that I would be very comfortable following her advice.

Your quilt is very pretty. And welcome to this board, so many knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:42 PM

before you make those multiple tiny tucks like Feline suggests, I would first lay it flat, and spay it heavily with starch and then with steam iron press(not iron back and forth). that will likely take up lots of that bias stretch and minimize the numbers of tucks. I have to do this with customer quilts sometimes--one I just took off the frame that my customer found at her Mom's house--it was her g-ma's. Lots of puckers, etc. Good luck--it's a neat quilt!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 PM

Zimheidi, thanks for sharing this problem. A lot of help is given here from everyone.

JanieW, I watched the video and was mesmerized in what could be done with the fullness of the quilt.

I completely took a quilt top apart and recut and stitched it back together
because of it being so billowy. It was my mothers wedding quilt top that never was quilted. It was during the war and no fabric could be bought to finish it. My mom was going through her cedar chest and pulled it out and said she was going to throw it away. The top was very old, we think about 80 years or more. So I redid it with time and care and love and patience. Lots of work! It turned out better than I'd hoped and is on moms bed. She lives with us. She is 91.

Feline, your work is so outstanding. Beautiful, inspiring.

I had no idea that this magic could be done for a fullness of a quilt top.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:48 AM

This happens often with vintage quilts. After I load a quilt on the longarm, I starch and use a steam iron. This shrinks up to two inches of baggy fabric. A tip from Kelly Cline.