Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crazy quilting...

I did a few patches with ugly fabrics and a new machine using all the fancy stitches for embellishments and the pets LOVE it! :lol:
    I haven't tried a really NICE one yet, but have been collecting for YEARS! LOL :lol: This might (you notice, I said might,) be a good place to use some of my treasures. They would make a nice album cover, for the scrap bookers! :lol: Or an eyeglass cover! Or something not too large and overwhelming! Have many books on the subject, but I am spending WAAY too much time on this site to get all my quilting done. Choices, What's a gal gonna do! :?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I'll ask the girl at my quilt group if she minds me taking a pic of her tote bag to post - it's a really cute way to use a crazy block.

K x

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I'll ask the girl at my quilt group if she minds me taking a pic of her tote bag to post - it's a really cute way to use a crazy block.

K x

That would be wonderful if she will let you. Thanks

Blog Entries
    My favorite quilting is Crazy Quilting, You sure do beautiful work.
    Enjoy your pics. Send it when complete. It will be a joy to view

Looks like so much fun and I love the idea of using ties. So many odeas and so little time.

waaa! how did I miss this post?
    Shemjo wrote:
    I did a few patches with ugly fabrics and a new machine using all the fancy stitches for embellishments and the pets LOVE it! :D
    I haven't tried a really NICE one yet, but have been collecting for YEARS! LOL This might (you notice, I said might,) be a good place to use some of my treasures. They would make a nice album cover, for the scrap bookers! :D Or an eyeglass cover! Or something not too large and overwhelming! Have many books on the subject, but I am spending WAAY too much time on this site to get all my quilting done. Choices, What's a gal gonna do! :?

I too, have been collecting satins and velvets etc....haven't snitched a tie yet, lol. I also have some of the silk ribbons, but they are so bee u ti ful, and my hand embr. is rusty...not much since a teen :shock: ...I think many of us, are accomplishing a lot of stuff, just not all quilting...but, alas, it has become a true love for me...but, I am supposed to be 'banking' and 'doing bills' right now,....so....loved everybody's pics...oh, gets my motor running, but still spinning my wheels on this, cause life is calling me to do other stuff, before lights go out and phone gets cut off. gotta talk to my chilluns and grandbabies....YIKES, grandbabies - phone....gotta go! :D

Blog Entries
    Re old ties. Several years ago I bought 2 big BOXES of ties from (I don't remember). I tossed them in the washing machine, figuring that the ones that didn't make it should be thrown away anyway. They all survived, and most of the stains came out. I didn't put them in the dryer - didn't have THAT much courage! You should have seen my clothes line! My husband thought it was so funny that he took pictures. If I knew where they were, I'd post them

Next came the BIG job of unsewing them and removing the interlining. I sorted them @ color and foundation pieced a bunch of burgundy and gold blocks, intending to make a quilt. That turned out to be the year that my granddaughter asked for a red robe, so I used the blocks on the robe. Fortunately, she asked for an extra big robe, and she hasn't grown much, so she's still using it!

Foundation piecing is perfect for old ties, because they are made on the bias.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Well, I asked the girl at quilt group if I could show you all her bag and she was pleased to be 'famous'! So here it is. The black fabric is a kind of velour and I think it gives a lovely, antiquey victoriana effect. Her name is Marie-France, by the way. In the photo you can see she's embroidered her initials on one of the patches.

K x

Crazy bag side one
    Name:  Attachment-26474.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  50.0 KB

crazy bag side two!
    Name:  Attachment-26476.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  52.2 KB

Great bag! Thank her for sharing. :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Will do!

K x

that's really great embroidery and i love the velour fabric. tell her thank you, k. you love us! :D

forgot to say, k, that I love your crazy quilting too, lol. I have a small bin that i have labeled just for crazy quilting, sometime in the future. Probably a tote bag or pillow will be my first project. I was given a lot of 'embellishments' by a friend. Now I owe her a lap quilt. Hmmm, could use some of those hex's I was talking bout. woo hoo! thanks for jogging my light bulb, k! :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    thanks for jogging my light bulb, k! :lol:
    You should produce a dictionary of sayings and expressions, - 'The Quiltncrazy Book of Words!' I LOVE 'em!!! :D

K x

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Wow! The tote is a really good idea.

Oofdah! (That's the extent of my foreign language prowess). You ladies are too funny!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
    Oofdah! (That's the extent of my foreign language prowess). You ladies are too funny!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pam, what is oofdah, lol? is that like 'oof!' when you run into something, and then, 'duh', for feeling foolish about it?...(u can't tell i'm guessing, huh? :) )

k, gonna start thinking of all my projects as WIP's, cause they ain't goin nowhere's. I do not throw away fabric. that's a cave rule. I don't have many cave rules, cause I don't let many in there! too many things that cost too much money. My kids couldn't replace my toys if their kids got hold of them. I will teach them as they get older, but you have to be invited! hop, hop, hop.....(that's me leaving the bunny trail now....LOL....) :lol:

:D Hi! I got started crazy quilting when I found this book "Crazy Shortcut Quilts" by Marguerita McManus n& Sarah Raffuse, www.krausebooks.com. I ove it and it really uses up a lot of your stash. I intended just to make a backing out of scraps, but it's much too pretty...
    See what you think! I am also interested in doing some quilting blocks with an embroidery machine; any suggestions for a pattern to use for the rest of it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Pam, what is oofdah, lol? is that like 'oof!' when you run into something, and then, 'duh', for feeling foolish about it?...(u can't tell i'm guessing, huh? :) )

k, gonna start thinking of all my projects as WIP's, cause they ain't goin nowhere's. I do not throw away fabric. that's a cave rule. I don't have many cave rules, cause I don't let many in there! too many things that cost too much money. My kids couldn't replace my toys if their kids got hold of them. I will teach them as they get older, but you have to be invited! hop, hop, hop.....(that's me leaving the bunny trail now....LOL....) :lol:
    Actually, and I'm guessing here, it's some Scandinavian term equivalent to "Yikes!" One of those words you use because everyone else in the family did, but no one ever told you what it means, you just kind of know when it's appropriate? However, I prefer your definition!!!

I went to a local quilt show this past weekend and when I saw someone leaving with a camera, I thought wish I had mine. Oh, well. Then when I saw the crazy quilt there I was really kicking myself for not having my camera. That crazy quilt was stunnings. It was done in creams and ivorys in a wedding ring pattern. Her embroidery and embellishments were in the centers only which gave each one a framed effect. It was stunning. My words do not do it justice.

Mplsgirl wrote:
    Actually, and I'm guessing here, it's some Scandinavian term equivalent to "Yikes!" One of those words you use because everyone else in the family did, but no one ever told you what it means, you just kind of know when it's appropriate? However, I prefer your definition!!![/quote]

...makes me think of Loretta Lynn and baloney, lol,...but she didn't know what her husband told her it meant, was NOT appropriate! OOFDAH! lol! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Slyghfox
    :D Hi! I got started crazy quilting when I found this book "Crazy Shortcut Quilts" by Marguerita McManus n& Sarah Raffuse, www.krausebooks.com. I ove it and it really uses up a lot of your stash. I intended just to make a backing out of scraps, but it's much too pretty...
    See what you think! I am also interested in doing some quilting blocks with an embroidery machine; any suggestions for a pattern to use for the rest of it?

Love the colors in your crazy quilt. Sorry no suggestions. I know nothing about machine embroidery. Let your imagination go. Just about anything will look good. It's a crazy quilt. :lol:

I got to wondering about the oofdah word, so I tried finding definitions of it on-line. I found one that equated to WOW - like UFFDAH, look at that beautiful crazy quilting. Another said it was like being hungover on a weekday, or said after eating a large meal. I like the first one the best.

My own foray into foreign languages was about 35 years ago. A friend taught me what she said was "Shut Up" in Italian. I worked with an Italian who had a major anger-managent problem, and I thought it might come in handy. I think it was pronounced: matsata alafatch or something similar. One day he was being a real jerk and I yelled it at him, and he stopped mid-word, looked at me, and asked why I had just called him a Cheese Face. :oops: So much for my foreign languages.
    :D :-o :D

As for pattern suggestions, I don't really know, but would love to have an embroidery machine to use on a crazy quilt. I'd just use a "crazy" patch quilt, and embroider the heck out of it.

[quote=2wheelwoman]I got to wondering about the oofdah word, so I tried finding definitions of it on-line. I found one that equated to WOW - like UFFDAH, look at that beautiful crazy quilting. Another said it was like being hungover on a weekday, or said after eating a large meal. I like the first one the best.

My own foray into foreign languages was about 35 years ago. A friend taught me what she said was "Shut Up" in Italian. I worked with an Italian who had a major anger-managent problem, and I thought it might come in handy. I think it was pronounced: matsata alafatch or something similar. One day he was being a real jerk and I yelled it at him, and he stopped mid-word, looked at me, and asked why I had just called him a Cheese Face. :oops: So much for my foreign languages.

:D :-o :D

thanks for looking that up, although it is pam's word, not mine...but think i may borrow it sometimes :wink: that is so funny about the cheese face...i thought he was going to tell you it was some profanity or something. it stopped him in mid-jerk though, didn't it?

slyghfox, your colors in your quilt are great...you'll have to forgive me. I get easily sidetracked at times. I am going to do some crazy quilting and hope to learn how to use the silk ribbons I bought online to do some of that on it. I'm a hometown girl who just doesn't have the money for an expensive embroidery machine when I can do it myself.
    so it won't look as good, i'm not entering any contests, lol.
    i'm not fooling myself, my stuff will never be perfect, but that's ok, I do this bc I love it.

[quote=2wheelwoman]
    :D :-o :D quote]

Too Funny!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast