Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crazy Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I have made several crazy quilt items. Vests stockings, wall hangings and quilts. I think she means theme. I use cottons and velvets, silks, satins, I have even used fabrics from those big apolstery books, and yes I do use the cottons with them. I use pearls, beads, silk ribbon all kinds of flosses, appliques, doilies, laces and fancy trims. I have bought everything for an oriental themed one but have not started it yet. Beautiful oriental fabrics, oriental charms, sasiko mirrors. Here is a web site for you to browse. You will love it! EveningStar Designs. Have fun!!
    What a neat site! I just spent half an hour there and will got back to check out some of their leads.

Blog Entries
    I love crazy quilts and yes, I'm a crazy quilter. What I love most about the art is the creativity. You create the blocks, the embroidery and embellishments and none else can duplicate your creation.

The one I'm working on right now is various shades of white, ecru, tan, and cream with pale prints. It will be a hexagon table topper for my kitchen table when finished. At the moment I'm still embroidering the seams. The really fun part is adding beads, ribbon flowers, buttons, charms, and jewelry, etc...yes I also add beads and pieces of jewelry. I'm
    always on the lookout for interesting things I can add to my crazy quilts. I'm supposed to teach this at a local quilt shop this spring and I need to really get serious and finish it!

I belong to a Yahoo group and get lot's of idea's from them
    Kay Kuilts

Are you going to embroider around each piece or use decorative stitches on your machine? How big will your quilt be? Good luck and let us see a pic. You may be the one to start a rage of Crazy Quilt making on the Board.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    I bought some crazy quilt templates from Jennie Doan and used scrap strips. I must say it was the most fun and easy quilt I've ever done and my DD adores it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rootyr View Post
    Jackie, TY so much for that site. Being a newbie to this it sure is a great site for ideas.
    Wow, her site makes me want to make a crazy quilt. Awesome stuff.

I made an unusal crazy quilt. I told my sister about a dream i had. We both belonged to an internet group and we would all meet up once a year. I dreamed one night that when I went to my mail box there were bits of lace, fabric, etc from all of the members of that internet group. I told my sister and
    she posted it on our forum. Soon my mail box had everything from hot pads, fabric, bandanas with Mickey and Minne Mouse, etc. I sat down and started putting all those items into a crazy quilt. It is not a thing of beauty, but it is cherished by many . I always take it with me when we have our get togethers.
    I would post a picture, but I have been having problems posting pictures. I will try again.
    A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars!

I can not post a picture. I guess I just don't know how to do it.

Name:  DSC00044.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  872.9 KBThe things sent to me was something that a person was interested in. My sister loved gingerbread men, one lady loved pigs, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rootyr View Post
    I just joined a crazy quilt group. I have no idea what subject to do it on. Has anyone done one of these? Would love some suggestions. TY
    LOL ! When I first read this I thought you joined a bunch of CRAZY quilters..... but aren't we ALL ????

It is cute.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Quiltlady

I think your quilt is beautiful. Full of memories those are the best kind of quilts.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    I use to have shopping bags full of mens ties. i open and washed them and made crazy quilts for charities, out of them .they sold like hot cakes, wish i would have kept one and also took pictures,I
    I may have to make another one soon. cmaras1234
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Blog Entries
    Fabulous!!!

Blog Entries
    We did crazy quilts as a theme for the May 2012 Doll Quilt Swap. Take a look at the thread here.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

If you mean the quilt group is crazy I'd fit right in---lol. Good luck and have lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Crazy quilting was the style that my grandmother used to make utility quilts for the home in the 1800's. She sewed hers to a foundation fabric . This predated Victorian Era quilts and she used it because since it didn't have a pattern and was made from scraps of odd, non-matching left over fabric and went together so fast it was her choice for utility quilts. Of course then all quilts were bedding but the utility quilts went under the pretty ones and since the fire was banked in the stove at night the house got cold enough to freeze water and you slept under several quilts. Just an odd bit of information that I remember her telling me. She was born in 1867 and didn't marry until she was 40.
    Thank you for sharing your story. I love quilting history.

crazy quilting

I've only done a little bit. You might check out the website for Edith Baker Montano or one of her books at your local quilt store. I would love to take a class from her!! Cindy Brick does wonderful work too. She teaches "hankie panky" quilts made with hankies. I took a class from her. She is great and has several books out. I think Cindy also has a website. I think you will enjoy crazy quilting.
    Let peace begin with me and you.

I'm in sooooo much trouble!!!!! I have been wanting to make a crazy quilt for quite awhile but just couldn't find a site that had everything in one place. Now that one has been posted I've gone to crazy quilt heaven and will be placing an order with them within the next month. So sew happy!

Rosie the Wyldwytch
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

Blog Entries
    if you are doing a crazy quilt search for the doll quilt swap- crazy quilts. there are soooo many good ideas on the internet and on this board also.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries

Crazy Quilts

Tanya, I think its great that you learned all that history from your gm. I did not know either of my grandmothers which is sad I think. I only knew my mother's father. I was eight when he passed.

Lucy

Blog Entries
    Hope you'll come join our Crazy Quilt Doll Swap this month. We have almost tooooo much fun! Here's the link
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    mostly just use scraps. did one with Christmas prints....made sure the center was a 'picture'...like a deer, drum, angel, whatever. did one once with fancy fabrics and did the embroidery work on it, then gave to a couple in their 70's who had just married. i noticed it on their bed, when we went to visit.
    did another for a couple who had stayed on a ranch.....we embroidered objects found on the ranch: a spur, the dog, deer, flowers, mountain, etc. then added the date, their name, name of the ranch, etc on the blocks. it was a fun project.
    enjoyed reading this site..love to sew. quilted for 47 yrs and still love it & learning new ideas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2