Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative Grid Rulers >

Creative Grid Rulers

Creative Grid Rulers

Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 AM

I believe I have every size Creative Grid--and would hate to any other. They are worth the cost.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:31 AM

I agree. I bought a Creative Grids 6.5 x 24.5 ruler and it's ruined me for my omnigrid rulers. I still like my omnigrip ones though-I only have a couple of those. As for why not replace them all, I don't have the money.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
No Creative Grid rulers, I did buy their strips to put on my rulers backs.
Where did you buy them? I looked on the Creative Grids website but they don't list strips for rulers.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM

I have a love-hate relationship with Creative Grids rulers. Love how they don't slip, hate the way they are marked. I did recently purchase a Quilters Select ruler in the 6x24" size and really do like it. I have way too many rulers!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bjbaxter View Post
I have a love-hate relationship with Creative Grids rulers. Love how they don't slip, hate the way they are marked. I did recently purchase a Quilters Select ruler in the 6x24" size and really do like it. I have way too many rulers!
They definitely take some getting used to and sometimes I have to double check I'm not using the wrong lines.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 PM

I have many brands of rulers. But my absolute favorite for cutting long pieces is Quilters Rule, 24X6.5. It has grids on the backside and it doesn’t slip. I’ve owned mine since 1995. For smaller pieces, I use my Creative Grids. I also use Shape Cut Plus by June Taylor.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by lberna View Post
I have many brands of rulers. But my absolute favorite for cutting long pieces is Quilters Rule, 24X6.5. It has grids on the backside and it doesn’t slip. I’ve owned mine since 1995. For smaller pieces, I use my Creative Grids. I also use Shape Cut Plus by June Taylor.
I think this thread is the first I've heard of Quilter's Rule. I'll have to check those out.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 PM

I have a Fons and Porter Omnigrid (the 8" x 14", which is a really convenient size sometimes). I have noticed that it has much more grab than the other yellow Omnigrids I have. I wonder if Omnigrid is starting to make their rulers more grippy. I still love Omnigrids. The slip isn't a problem for me. I've bought some other specialty rulers and they aren't nearly as accurate. I always go back to Omnigrid (no affil). And yes, a Bonnie Hunter trick is to put Nextcare clear tape on the back of the rulers. I'd definitely try that before switching to rulers with markings that I don't like as much.

I rarely use any 6x24 because it's too hard to hold it steady. But I like the Jordan Fabrics You Tube tutorial (no affil) trick of putting a dumbbell on the end of the 6x24 before cutting to weigh it down. I think it's a good idea even with the rulers that have more grab.

Last edited by TeresaA; 10-10-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Funny how these things happen... After reading this thread I went thrift store shopping and there it was today at the Goodwill, a perfect condition Quilter's Rule for $2.00. I picked it up and will try it next time I'm cutting long strips. My first impression is that it will be a little annoying for me figuring out the inch markers but I like the feel of the grips and it could be a good thing.

I think my original ruler way back when was a Quilter's Rule... it may have been an EZ Ruler. It didn't have the grips on the back but it did have nice clear lines.

I have them and I use them but I'm not a fan of the Omnigrid as I don't need/want/use all of those subunits and it's hard for me to read with my vision issues. Quarter inch is good enough for me, even back when I cut out my HST at size + 7/8" instead of using other techniques.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Quilter's Select rulers are my basic rulers of choice now. I bought one to try and now have all the sizes. They are the best for non slip. I buy specialty rulers from Creative Grids.
I LOVE my Quilter's Select Rulers!! After I got one free from somewhere I used it and had to stop and look at it..it's wonderful!! It's my choice now, as well!